Saturday, February 24, 2024

And the winner is .....

What a relief !  I mean if you gotta have a problem with your blood this one is waaaaay better than a lot of them.  I really don't know what it means for my future and I won't until I meet with the Hematologist again next week. I supposee it could be blood thinners for the duration or some kind of management strategy . I've had so much blood work done that it's the weirdest feeling of freedom or as my brother called it ' serendipity '....not only do I now know what I have but I also know what I don't have. My blood work by and large has returned to normal, my PSA is good, my lipid panel is good, I don't have any inflammation in my blood that signals bad things . so, mystery solved...I think I'm even going to be able to get my neck problem fixed with surgery this spring. Decompression / fusion : next order of business. And for all my guide friends, I'd bet dollars to donuts the cervical problem came from thousands of hours of rocking around in a boat telling stories, laughing, chasing the pesca and of course making a bit of $$$. And it was all worth it !  

Factor V Leiden

Main Results

An inherited blood-clotting disorder due to a change in of the blood's factor V protein.
Factor V Leiden (FAK-tur five LIDE-n) increases the chance of having clumps of blood, known as clots. This can be life-threatening. Women with the disorder risk developing blood clots during pregnancy or when taking the hormone estrogen.
Most people never develop symptoms. The first indication of the disorder may be a blood clot. Some clots do no damage and disappear on their own. Others can be life-threatening depending on what part of the body is affected.
Treatment may include blood-thinning medicines. Other precautions, including keeping the legs moving and wearing compression stockings, can reduce the risk of having blood clots.
Very common
More than 3 million US cases per year
Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured
Requires a medical diagnosis
Lab tests or imaging always required
Chronic: can last for years or be lifelong

No comments:

Post a Comment