Wednesday, May 29, 2024

The Quilts of Meagher County

 

That's one of the first ones you see when you cross into Meagher County....there's hundreds, maybe thousands to follow. When you Google ' what the hell am I looking at in Meagher County Montana ' you get this - they're called Barn Quilts and apparently the Art community in White Sulphur Springs which is small but dynamic decided that a County wide art program could be beautiful and also set them aside from the other hum drum 185 other counties in the State . Now I'm not Inspector Closeau but I'm kinda thinking that there's got to be more to the story, after all a lot of it doesn't make sense...

1. They're in the strangest seemingly random places, everywhere .

2. They're not signed .

3. You see them as in the pic above in remote places with views of some of the most beautiful scenery in the lower 48...who thinks you can improve on that ?

4. White Sulphur Springs is the County seat and the Courthouse has one but  the Hospital across the street doesn't  have one . The Police station don't have one.....mmmm....but the industry  has 3 of them....mmmm 

5. It's hard for me to believe it's such a big thing without some $$$$ involved.  To quote one of my old fishing buddies ' nobody does nothin for nothin '.

So if your mind works like mind right now you're thinking Knights Templar . Right ?  Maybe even somehow linked to the mystery of Oak Island .

I remember in school learning about the Underground Railroad during the Civil War . In southern states the people helping the effort had to stay anonymous so for the folks needing help they devised an ingenious way of identifying each other. Of course they had your everyday secret passwords and handshakes and invisible ink but they also used everyday objects displayed in just a slightly different or unusual way for the people who knew what to look for to find....see where I'm going with this ?

So I'll be in that County from time to time and I'll do some more sleuthing. I guess in the meantime we can just consider it a gift like most art and just enjoy it...beautiful things in beautiful places. 
There's one heck of a beer culture here in Montana. Our motel was full of fishing guides getting ready to launch for a trip on the Smith River, what a life . In the morning we watched them load these I.B.R.B.'s to quote Geno ( itty bitty rubber boats ) and it seems the concern they had most was room for the Pacifico's . They even know how to buy beer. 
This note is posted on the door of our room and the second pic is the note posted at the local watering hole explaining their hours....I think you can see the situation quite well.
So we celebrated MP's ssss.......th  birthday. My neck allowed me to golf a bit and I won the long drive contest. We toured a museum where they had really old stuff covered with really old dust and a sign that said do not touch, like that's what you'd want to do with a horse bridle that had spider webs on it.  MPeasy won 15 dollars as we waited for a gourmet hamburger and I got to meet the nephew of a guy who's uncle beat up a friend of mine in 1971 . We ran into our neighbor Tom at the golf course . We toured the graveyard as White Sulphur goes overboard on Memorial Day. It was beautiful and solemn, 350 full sized flags, the sound of them flapping in the Montana wind gave me pause....that was a lot of weekend .

So now I'm getting ready to fish, seriously getting it together. If any of you are wondering how I'm looking as I work into retirement here's a current picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment