Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Yahtzee

I guess the pic below makes it official . And it kinda looks like the new owner has a different vision for the place so I guess that's coooool. You can't blame anybody for wanting to have privacy or do whatever they want with what they own....it's just a sad end to an era that had to come. So many people have so many memories from this special place on the planet earth but ya know what they say...nobody can take that away.
So we signed on the dotted line and I have to tell you it wasn't as hard to do as I thought it might be, Then we went right back to work and then celebrated spiritually with our old friend Loren Stewart.  When we bought the place Nikki apologized for having to leave some stuff, like us the job was overwhelming.  So one of the things we found in the house was this collectors bottle of Jim Beam Whiskey....Loren being Scottish of course was a good single malt guy so I guess he just never got around to opening this beauty. He had it for 20 years and we had it for 25 so we toasted him and Nikki, ourselves and the Kenai River with 45 year old Jim...and ya know there must be something to that ageing deal because even though I never drink whiskey it was pretty darn smooth.
But not all is lost ....if any of you get nostalgic I'd bet ya my old friend Keith would let you visit his place and tell Boat Launch stories for the modest price of a 12 pack of Kokanee. Thank's Keith for offering to keep the place a part of the Kenai.
That Big Eddy Jetty sign I built for Loren in 1983 as part of my use fee. It was crazy. I seemed to lose some customers in that day and my working theory is that when I told people to meet me at Big Eddy Jetty they turned down Big Eddy Road where a 100 guides are headquartered and my customers just disappeared from my calendar.....

I was overwhelmed a a week ago wondering if we'd ever get the basement cleaned out...Well we did and my back feels like it . But I think we're actually ahead of schedule and if it weren't for this covid virus we'd be on easy street. For the Alaska Ferry system they want a 72 hour pre check in negative test and no lab in the state ( which are both State labs ) will guarantee a 72 hour return....mmm.....so, we'll see. We did take a break from packing and road tripped to Kasilof to see how the fishing is going. We happened upon Jacque Kosto the Head Ranger here and had a nice visit about the past and the future of this place. Really nice,  he thanked me for my volunteerism and meant it....AND then we got to  witness a guy hook and land a jumbo which was hooked perfectly in the upper lip and then released it to spawn while showing his son how to handle it, so cool !

So we're feeling good...the other day as I worked up my sweat from hand trucking the basement MP said something to me really important. I was hurting ( sciatica ) and she was finding objects of the past and sometime getting a little emotional and we had country music blaring as we stopped to chat a bit about the stress of moving  she hugged me and said " do realize we haven't had a fight in months ? " ....Love ya baby. So, with that story here's my song of the week.
Hope you return to Blog Mile 14....I'll write as long as you read ! But maybe more sporadically until we land.

7 comments:

  1. Preserving memories is what it's all about. If your readers want to swap stories, they can find the signs and me at Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service, Kenai, Alaska. Kokanee beer is always appreciated.

    Congrats Jeff & MP on your next adventure. It was a great run....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you’re open & have Jeff’s signs. We got married at Jeff’s and stayed at your cabins 20 years ago August. Beautiful spot you have, and glad there’s a bit of Big Eddy Jetty left.

      Delete
  2. Tell us all about the ferry ride please I've always been interested in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do... Kind of a working man's cruise line. Right now no exploring port calls and covid safety protocols .

      Delete
  3. Thanks Nate , we'll look for you on the trail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, every day is a new adventure!

    ReplyDelete