Friday, June 12, 2020

Road Trip

So what did Otter and the boys at Delta Tau Chi do when things got a little weird and they were on double secret probation ???? Road Trip !  And that's what me and MPeasy are fixing to do, another grand adventure in the life of retired fish guide #003 and soon to be roving pescador.

Owning Stewart's Landing has just gotten to be overwhelming for us. We have at least 30 or 40 beetle killed trees that need to be taken care of and we've been married to the place for the last 30 years. We've not done anything in the summer but work, work, work,....so, we've sold the place. You know me, I'm a 100 % guy so when we discussed all the options the answers were obvious, we just need a clean break and move on to the next chapter.
This place is absolutely beautiful and people who come here will say " how in the world can you leave that place  ?"  But they only see the splashing salmon and the Bald Eagles circling.  They don't see all the responsibility it takes and dealing with an empty house every winter while we snowbird. So, we're down to 2 homes now, muy bueno.

 So, in true Jethronian fashion just this morning as we talked about the difficulty of traveling through Canada in the Covid era MP mentioned a friend knew somebody who had taken the ferry from Whittier to Bellingham WA. I checked the schedule and it was meant to be...a sailing on the same day we have to leave the house at Mile 14. So on July 6th we'll be on the Kennicott with a guitar and a smile headed for a new life.  Then  as soon as it's safe to travel we'll be getting around looking for the next adventure. For all of you Washington and Oregon people we're going there first so when you see that old white truck in your drive way , don't shoot. MP is so excited to get back to her family in Montana so we're going to give that a good try and if it turns out we feel like we've made a mistake , well that's easy to fix....we'll find another place or even move to Alaska.

So it's adios, maybe you all felt the vibe from that song last blog entry....So to all my guide friends from the 1980's I want to thank all of you for inviting me into your fraternity, you know I never made varsity in my life until I met you. For all of you fishing guides that used our spot and I know so well, I wish you all the most success and hope for a bright future for all of you, this is a wonderful lifestyle and I'm with you all the way. The people of Soldotna don't need to look far to see how great their community is....just look at the kids, great place to raise children, thank you. And for all of you along the way, my customers / friends we'll be seeing you, leave the light on please.  We love you all.

As for Mile 14....if you'll bare with me I'm going to evolve this into a fishing and learning blog as I explore the new stuff I'm so excited for. If I had to guess I'll bet I go after Montana trout fishing just like I went after Kenai salmon...full speed. While we're packing I'm to busy to blog, we've got a ton of stuff to do...no , 10 tons actually so I'll take a bit of a writing break but will post as much as I can, when I can...and it'll be fun. I'll definitely blog the trip south on the Alaska Marine Highway.  I hope you come along !

My song this week....well, I wanted something relevant so went to the archives and dug out a Jimmy Buffet song. It's a little rough but if you get through the first verse it smooths out a bit.
Ouch....maybe a bit more than rough. oh well...😎

4 comments:

  1. Hey old friend. Congrats on your sale and new life adventure! Thanks for all the years of fun. If you make it to Florida you have a free place to stay always. Will leave the light on. BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck in your new adventure. Ken and Diane from La Marina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it, retired isn't all that splendor, someone still has to do the stuff. I remember when I worked, seems like I had a ton more time to do the stuff around the house than now, oh well. Ya know, Montana isn't that far from northern Minnesota, maybe you can join Keith and I for a weekend in the Ice Cabin this winter! Time marches on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the new adventure. And welcome back to the lower 48.

    ReplyDelete