Wednesday, July 8, 2020

First of firsts

I've had a lot of that lately... Right now I'm writing from Juneau where we're stuck on the boat because of the condition of our planet.  It's raining,  in fact it's been raining since we got to east side of the Whittier tunnel.  I was using my phone as a mobile hot spot but with just one bar on my phone it won't do it and it especially won't do pics so I'm using my tablet to blog for the first time.  I've learned lot about Marine highway travel... Like be careful with the bunk bed ladder,  I'm not hurt anything like I was when I did the Carl Wallenda in Mazatlan climbing down the rocks to grab a stupid fish but my ribs are pretty darn sore from bouncing off the couch,  good thing it's padded,  those rocks at Playa Escondido werent.

I really do have some great pics but they'll have to wait until I get connectivity so instead I'll do one of my favorite things.... A list, of a  few firsts. 

1. Who'd have guessed you can catch herring on bare hook ? Actually a series of small hooks tied with the loop knot.  And these ain't your Cook inlet OK nasty bait herring but beautiful great silver guys about5inches long and I bet they'd be great deep fried. 

2. My first line up of vehicles loading was different in a typically Alaskan way.  2 1969 Ford broncos,  one semi rusted out and the other entirely rusted out.  The laters  clutch was out and they engaged granny low with the starter when they had to.  And the there was the woman and her son with broken leg who were driving a mahindra off road vehicle loaded to the max and had a pretty hung exterior door tied to the roll bar to keep the rain off. 

3. Our first restaurant meal in five months was just fantastic.  A window seat on the Kennicott and Prince William sound with only a few other diners and great clam chowder and ceaser salad... We talked about us instead of business and that night I slept an entire 8 house for the first time in I don't know how long.

4. Artichoke - jalapeno -cheese dip

5. And oh... The first time I haven't fished the world famous in July for 44 years.... And y'all know what?  I'm OK with that.... Moving forward. 

This blog entry was a first for sure.  Finger typing just doesn't work for me.  A part of the creative process for me is the keyboard,  I learned typing in school and it just helps me create.  So,  I'll do pics and real typing on the next mmmmmmm....rainy stop,  Ketchikan.  Hope all my Alaska friends are getting their fish. 

3 comments:

  1. Yup, that one reinforced my stupidity.coulda broke my neck landing that one...what do you think about mzt 2021 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't really looked into it much. were waiting to see how things shake out yet, Sure would miss it and sure would like to help the good people of Mazatlan out.I'm suprised the prices on flights and lodging havent went down last I looked. And you folks?

      Delete