Monday, July 18, 2011

80 %

That's about how I was feeling this week, 80%. My throat was so sore from the procedure and because I'm a bit leary of food I went the entire week with fluids only, the right kind of fluids of course. I got my protein from the powder I use when I'm lifting and had my soup and food pulverised. It was brutally tough watching people eating jerky and chips in the boat. So this weekend I went to some soft food and let me tell you...macaroni and cheese never tasted to good.

But even though I was 80% I gave 110 % effort and the Kenai and us had a good week. We caught many kings like this one my friend Charlie Higgins is holding. He told me in June that he was going to keep coming down from Anchorage until he caught one, so once again it looks like I've worked myself out of a job.
I get up at 3:30 every morning and I'm in the boat doing my prep work at 4:00. this week we had huge tides and of course the full moon that causes them. Absolutely gorgeous and what a way to start the day when I'm the first down the hill and soak in the view alone and appreciatively.
But the view I'm getting a little tired of is this one. Three times we had to clean the garbage up after a large brown bear came visiting. We finally got a bear proof dumpster but that doesn't mean much for our peace of mind here at Mile 14. Its a little spooky knowing its the peak of the Red and King season with hundreds of people around, people walking from our place to the gravel bar to fish...and we KNOW theres at least one large brown bear nearby. In the pic you'll notice a nice bear steamer, that's no small poo poo.
MP and I just had to go see it and take a pic. We had to verify I guess what it is that makes you wait 10 minutes in line at the tackle store or not make the first light at the Y intersection. Well, this is it. Dipnetting mania at the mouth of the Kenai river. Thousands of people, thousands ans thousands of fish, thousands of problems...litter, drunks, accidents, conflicts...all the stuff I don't need in my life so we don't go dipnetting. We get our red salmon the old fashion way, sport fishing for them....well actually a friend sport fishes them for us.
Naturally I'm a little concerned for myself. We have a doctors appointment on Thursday and then I'll know when and what the surgery will entail. But I guess I've arrived in the caring department because what I'm most concerned about is the Jet-Dog, she's not doing well. I don't know if its because we're so connected she picks up on it from me or she's injured....and you know she can't talk. Those  labs seem to always have a kind of forlorn look but this week her's is different and we can all tell. She doesn't jump into the truck, she sleeps in a different place and doesn't follow me step in and step out as usual. At one point last week she jumped out of my boat and kind of 'fell' up the stairs and maybe that was it. But I'm kind of feeling that's she's had a moment like mine, we're both finally facing the ageing process and the realisation that its not all going to be easy street. Ever since we got Jet I could swear I could sense some wisdom in her eyes, the way she'd look at you and crook her head just a bit. Maybe that's it, realisation...
Saturday for the only time this year I did 2 trips, a 12 hour fishing day. My old friend Stan Kluth came down and he's not a morning person so off we went for the afternoon tide. His wife Barb caught a fish but the best thing was we got to play some music together.  Stan is THE most talented natural guitarist I have ever met, he can play it all. So after the day was done and although my throat is raw and I shouldn't be singing, we did. It was short and sweet as I was tired and starving but what a great way to end my week and celebrate my 58th birthday, July 16th....thanks Stan.

No comments:

Post a Comment