Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Moose Bite

 was on pretty good the other day.  Like I promised, Chris and I went fishing hard on Les Anderson / 97 pounder day.  We were one of two power boats  and one drift boat on the entire lower river....weird....and what was even  weirder was the guy in the drift boat we watched have some kinda 20 minute discussion with the State Troopers. When the Troopers left he hollered over at us that they might as well give him two tickets because he was just going to put the bait back on again....AND he did ! We watched him throw nice pretty baited lures back into the Kenai. Jeez, what a yo-yo....after 4 years of waiting for the chance to fish Early run Kings again we got this guy cheating the rules and disrupting a wonderful day for the few of us out....what a jerk.

So we pulled the gear well and hard and never had a hit. But you know me, the joy is in the pursuit and the rest of the trip was pretty darn good, except the weather of course.....plenty of wildlife, fellowship and nice coffee.
Seems like the older I get the colder I get....kinda musical eh ?  Doesn't Chris look likes he's a grizzled veteran of the Alaska experience.
So I decided to take a rest from the chase so this weekend we'll have our traditional kick off. I have days booked and we Will have some fish....As I cleaned up the other morning I had King salmon rolling around the launch, and not just a couple. So that day I did my part and between Mile 14 and Fall-in-Hole I took 500 pounds to the dump.
With everything going on these days I thought it was a good idea to take some time and build a new addition for our front gate. I want people to know what we're about and hope the flag helps get us like minded people. Like I've said hundreds of times through the years....where else in this world could a guy like me go fishing everyday and own / live in this remarkable place that is Mile 14 .
I got this neighbor that bought the vacant view lot on the civilization side of Mile 14. He pretty much clear cut the entire acre and a half but left this scraggly old Birch that's dangerously leaning over MP's greenhouses. So when I saw him the other day I diplomatically pointed out to him that it could be a problem and although I'm not one of 'those' guys I'd sure hate to see us have a problem....( and the darn tree would sometimes disrupt my satellite signal once the leaves are on it ). So....enter Steve.
Watching a craftsman work like Steve is like watching Derek Jeter field grounders. Steve is no young guy but with a passion and athleticism that comes from his dogged hard work ethic he went up that leaner and limbed it as he went. Then he set all his ropes for best leverage near the top of the tree and used his high tech pulley systems to get what he calls the ' mechanical advantage ' and walla.....end of problem. I was duly impressed, Steve is my age and if you need him call Steve's Tree Service 907-394-4778 .
And in the ' It's a good thing we've got the government looking out for us department ' how's about this...would you walk off that baby if the caution tape weren't there ?....mmmm
Hope you come back...we're gonna have fish real soon.






4 comments: