Monday, July 10, 2017

Sigh.....

That's what me and my friend the Kenai River are doing on the eve of the most intense 3 weeks of salmon fishing in the world. There will be around 300,00 reds dip netted , around 250,00 sport caught along with 2 to 5,000 King's or so....we ask a lot of that ole River, and our community.
I've learned to deal with it all quite gracefully I think and I also think I know of what I speak as running the Boat Launch here at Mile 14 is kinda unique, stressful but rewarding and full of friendship. So for any of you that might stumble upon this blog while on your way to salmon central here's just a couple reminders... At Mile 14 we have one rule, come to have fun, no sour pusses.  And this,  Just slow down with that salmon fever deal....remember that the person ahead of you that is astonishngly driving the speed limit most likely lives here and is a bit intimidated by the traffic. Or maybe that crazy person driving the speed limit is a visitor who is taking in the beauty....relax, breath through your nose. Let's all try and be courteous of others, in fact if you already are let's just set the bar a bit higher....AND, think safety friends, always.
For all the people chasing these salmon in the next few weeks we have many who it's about preparing for the long Alaskan winter, some it's sport, some a job , some a combo of passion and sport and culture.....and some it's just a big party. We have a guy who is just a drain on our town and fishing society that stays every year at the public campground that seems to fall into that last category. Be careful and don't go with guys like this , do you really want to go fishing with a guy who keeps his camp like this...They take up 4 or 5 camp spots our wonderful visitors could use, guide fishing trips in July only ,and....then leave. Thanks a lot.
I took this pic at the store the other day. I said to the kid  ' man that's a lot of salmon cans' and he said ' you oughta see the warehouse'. His job is salmon cans, vac seal bags , smoker chips, fish boxes and coolers. We're talking tonnage.
Last week we had people catch one salmon, we had people catch no salmon and we had Chris who caught two in two trips at the same hour on the same lure.....pretty darn good. I'm helping him hold the second one because that was one knarly fish and Chris was a bit tired after the haul. This guy was 47 inches and weighed 47 pounds...
I had a first. I think I'm pretty good at the 'warm up' which is the tutorial I do every morning with King salmon. I actually do a practice troll where I show everyone how to handle the reel as to not back lash and how much line goes out. Then I show how the bite will look and how to and when to respond. I'll even over run the spool a bit on purpose to show how the reel can backlash and then I ask if anybody has questions.  Having done all that at 6:00 a.m. sharp the lines go in the water and I had a teenager named Jeremy that I think just hadn't woken up yet. I watched as he held the reel upside down and a baby backlash was forming which turned into a huge one when got out the distance and kind of jerked the rod....the diver dove and instantly, and I mean instantly slimey had it and jumped behind the boat. That Trilene held up to it for an amazing amount of time . Long enough that his dad got hold of the rod and was able to see the situation and feel the power of the fish before the line parted....and then swam off putting 70 ft of line into a friends prop.....ouch. Wish ya'd got him Jeremy. ...Wow...

We love fresh King salmon. It's the best. And believe it or not we seldom get any. But I had generous customers this week so on my Saturday I had a special treat to go with my usual Saturday evening....A nice quality gin Martini as I play my Godin guitar for a little over an hour, I'm working on a soulful rendition of ' Stand By Me ' and learning to sing Frankie Valles ' My Eye's Adored  You' for our friend Connie in Mazatlan. Then I have some wild caught shrimp that have been setting in olive oil with some garlic and MP's fresh basil.... And the star of the show, a huge King steak pouched with a little Wasabi mayonaise on it. and or course a glass of Merlot.
So we here go, July on the Kenai....You guys all have fun, be safe, be thoughtful and if you're not part of my extended Team X family here at Mile 14 when you see us on the river say hi....and oh, it's been a weird Bear year so keep an eye out. This was at  Soldotna Creek Park this week.

3 comments:

  1. That salmon steak has my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was like two pounds Tim...and I forgot, a little fresh dill .....mzt ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Frankie Valli! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqz9eyakGqY

    ReplyDelete