Sunday, April 24, 2016

Happy wife , happy life

There's MP next to her completed greenhouse project. We went about 500 dollars over budget and my knee's are killing me but other than those small things, it's all good. I guess I learned that being a master gardener is kinda like being a fisherman....you just can't try and justify the expense with what you harvest, it's just not cost effective, the joy is in the pursuit. So I tell people that first tomato every year is like eating Kobe beef, it might be expensive but it ain't got any preservatives or HMO's or pesticides or....it's just all good and it makes my best friend smile, a lot. I think the two building are pretty darn cute and matching our style, they're not store bought Lexan Gambrel style normal greenhouses, they're kinda cool.
My pictures are  a little dark because I had my camera set wrong. It's got this little spin wheel deal on it and when you change the setting and forget, well, you get screwed up pictures. Now in my world if I were to start building camera's I'd have the feature where the camera always returns to auto ( on my camera it's called ' intelligent automatic'....just a little advice for you guys at  Cannon and Olympus from us experts here at Mile 14...

Speaking of which, we have the earliest ' green up' ever. Not just by a few days but it seems to me that it's by an entire month. We have Robins arriving, Sand Hill Cranes flew over (it's impossible so miss those guys ) and we have vibrant GREEN tree's. I think I've been in Alaska now long enough to qualify as an old timer so I have to say, all of us here are duly impressed with mother nature....now just send the fish please. Here's a pic I took about half way down the hill to the river and another of the birch stand around the hay field up from our house. The pic of the hay field you can clearly see how high the moose can graze every winter, there's a certain line about 8 feet up where the tree starts, it looks almost man made like it were done by a machine.
So having a job to do this last week I made many a trip to the Hardware store, generally for me I spend just as much on gas as I do repairing a leaky faucet...the good news is that I always have enough parts left over to not fit my next project too....but I wasn't going to write about that. What I was going to write about is the unique working guy's vehicles I run into that are , a, well, uniquely Alaskan . I parked next to this guy who looked like he'd be mud bogging on television...we happen to walk out together and I asked " my goodness what happened to your truck".... he looked a little pained and only said " I  live in Kasilof "
The very next day I park next to this guy....Now that is a unique rig. It started out as a small S.U.V. of some sort or another I'd guess and then the owner turned it into a mini monster truck with overhead storage, that's also been rolled a time or two....I didn't have a chance to ask but he could very well live in Kasilof too.... I like the decals from his sponsor's.
As you can see it's a big week at Mile 14, I've turned over 100,000 reads...and that's pretty darn cool. I looks to me like I have between 250 and 350 full time readers and to all of you I just have to say " Mucho Gracias" !!!! I really hope it's been fun for all of you and that I haven't be tooooo hard on the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game. I really enjoy writing the blog and we'll just ' continue with dignity' as the French climber in the Eiger Sanction stated.  And for all of you that come to Mile 14 from the link on my web page I hope the  blog has given you some insight to what this fishing guide is all about... to steal a line from my old friend Barry Woods .... " Highly experienced - mildly delusional "

3 comments:

  1. Fine wood buthchery there Jeff but not sure if I want to show these to my wife. Happy 100,000 reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete