Saturday, June 4, 2016

The 2016 Kenai King Salmon Fishery is Underway

Finally. Why it was ever closed remains a mystery but I'm going to let that go....I'm just happy to see the run recovered from the disaster of 2013 enough for us to get back to a life of chasing salmon. I also really hope that the Kuskokwim comes in and that life gets back to normal for all my fellow Alaskan's living in the bush  who depend on the salmon.
Right now the fishing is Catch and Release only. The only down side for some is that you don't get to take him home and eat him....I'll make sure I have some of MP's wonderful smoked salmon along on all my trips to make up for that part a little bit. The up side is that the river is a really great fishing experience without the crowds, instead of quiting fishing when you catch one with C+R you continue fishing and with a little luck and expert guiding you might catch more than another and maybe even another....

I expect ADF+G will allow for harvest later in the month when the run projection makes 10,000. I hope it does but I certainly would urge caution as we have a chance to get all of our needed spawners in 2016. The management changes on July 1st and retention will be allowed....In any case, lets go fishing !..........907-398-1128


No comments:

Post a Comment