Monday, August 15, 2016

August = Rain

If you fish the world famous Kenai River in August you have to be prepared for our ' liquid sunshine'.  August is traditionally a wet month but the last few years it's been extreme. Once again with all the warm weather and glacier melt in July combined with steady rain in  August we are ' bank full' and just a good storm away from another flood. Our river bank at Mile 14 is taking a beating from boats being tied up where they'd never normally reach...but the good news is the water clarity is holding for now.....here's the graph you've seen before. The pyramids on the graph are the 40 year average of where the water level usually is.
Our Silver run seems to be building but it's just not as strong as usual and even the pink salmon don't seem as plentiful either. But there's certainly enough fish around to get a tug and a smile.  This was on the Internet and made me chuckle pretty good.
Alaska Olympians receiving their Silver

This week I fished a young couple from Oxnard California and I got a first....when I asked Jim why they picked me out of all the guides on the Kenai River he said that I seemed liked a ' cool old man ".....mmmmmm....well, I guess I'm there, it's time. Here's a cute pic of his wife Lan with a Kenai Knarly.
This pic of Scott with a Coho will kinda tell you the dark / dank /wet / fluid weather we've been fishing through . Next February Scott's going to be at Emerald Bay, Mazatlan Mexico so we'll do a repeat performance with the fish Scott...and I guarantee it won't rain.
I've only had a couple evenings to work with my new Godin guitar. It's really cool. I can get a really good acoustic sound without having to hunch over that huge Martin HD-28 of mine, but still, nothing sounds like a Martin. When I get two new Jacks I'll be able to plug it into an Electric amp as well as my acoustic amp and the blends should be fantastic. This guitar plays like a Stratocaster but sounds like a Martin....darn proud of you guys making these guitars up in Canada. Here's a song, a bit rough as I'm just learning and of course being in the garage doesn't help....well....It's musicians life. When you're a kid your parents say " take that *&;#% out in the garage " . Next thing you know you're an 'old man' and you're still in the garage...

No comments:

Post a Comment