Monday, June 26, 2017

Normal....

Wasn't that the name or  acronym for the group that was pushing legalization of Marijuana ???...mmmmm.....well, so what, normal is what I like and normal is what we got. MP's knee is semi good to go, my Plantar Facitis is better so we can exercise together like we love to do and as my friend Dan Sterchi says ' the fish are runnin and the livin's easy'.  Here's me and MPeasy at the river, Sunday morning 6:00 a.m.....smile baby.
And what's more normal than Alaska's best friend starting another season in Slowdotna. Like me , my friend Hobo Jim ain't going to be around forever so if you haven't ever gone you need to, From one musician to another I think I can honestly say that there's nobody in the world like him. Ol Hobo there is as much a part  of our summer as the salmon. Good luck Jim on a great year.
I know , I know, what about the fishing.....well, that's semi normal too. I just did my 20th trip which puts me waaaaay ahead of the last few years. This week ADF+G gave us the use of bait and I actually think the fishing was better before. Right now the numbers are kind of low and we're working really hard for a bite or two day and if they stick, magic. On Tuesday Jackie and Steve Watkins showed up with a local couple from Sterling. The pressure is on as the Rumley's and us have mutual friends and they've even gone on guided trips. Well, it's pouring down rain all morning and the temp was in the low 50's, a recipe for Hypothermia. We pull the gear for 5 hours with just one missed bite and as we decide to stop early and on the last 20 feet of the last troll Jackie's rod goes off. Just goes to show, never say woo is a horse race. What a gorgeous creature.
Bill and Marty Enkhausen are turning into some of my favorite friends / customers. They are upbeat, interesting and fun and as Marty is an Alaskan who lives in Texas so they visit often. Wish we'd have put a few more beans on the table for you guys but that's a pretty nice salmon.

What wasn't normal this week was that I got MP to go fishing with me. Our Uncle Al was here with his son Steve and it's a cool but long story on how he got to be our uncle so I'll just say he is and we love him. But Mp is kinda attention challenged and I was hoping she'd catch early as I knew she'd ask for a Stewart' Landing drop off a couple hours into the day. And she did, but not before she caught this gorgeous ( but small ) fish. Now if a fish this size can give a woman that's caught them all , big and small that kind of smile just imagine how easy happiness is to achieve ,,,, right ?
If you go back to last weeks blog post you remember that Eagle Rock was doing a circus balancing act. Well it just got better. The tide raised it even farther and the bird on the left did his job to keep the weight distribution and I've just never seen anything like it. But the next day our 23 foot tide floated the entertainment by us as we fished at the cross over, nothing's forever ya know.
The 21st was the longest day ....and what does that mean ? Well, in Alaska it means more than it does in most parts of the world so when I posted this on my Facebook page I got a lot of negative feedback from my Alaskan friends....who don't go to Mazatlan I'd guess. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž


1 comment:

  1. Ha, I had to laugh. with all my issues lately I am getting caught up and read through your post with haste! Anyway you said that live bait was now legal on the river and then I saw that small fish and thought, what the heck, that seems like a pretty big live bait to be using! Had to go back and reread that it was caught, not put there intentionally. Slow down Dave!!!

    ReplyDelete