Thursday, May 13, 2021

Just like King Salmon

 But mmmmm.... a little bit smaller. But you know my Mantra ' the joy is is in the pursuit ' so this very first Montana trout of mine was a very big deal for me. I was beginning to wonder if I'd lost it and it didn't help that MPeasy would laughingly tell me that I was never going to catch another fish in my life because I'd used up all my moe-joe making money off them. Well, this is the first of many. We'll be chasing Kokanee ( which people tell me are excellent eating ) and ditto with the Walleye and of course trout and anything else that is slimey.

We trailered over to Helena and Hauser Lake. You can only imagine how wonderful the Missouri river was before the canyons were damned because even with most of it under water it's still absolutely gorgeous. In true Jethronian style we were up at 0 dark thirty and the first to the boat launch. It was cool and crisp and the lake flat and quiet, I felt in my element for sure. Not knowing a single thing about where or what to fish with I went to work with the Garmin I purchased and found a drop that Tom had told me about the day before. We trolled it with a couple shallow diving Rapala's as I could see the fish at only 10 feet....absolutely incredible as I've never had a machine that can do what this one does.
Almost immediately we had a bite, it took me three more to learn that I can't be yarding the rod out of the holder and doing the super set that I'm used to. Once I turned it down to a gentle jerk and some easy reeling we landed a trout and then another. Hot coffee many pictures and being in the perfect place with the perfect person old #003 was happy.

And whats a fishing a trip without a little boat / fish / I caught a ( fill in the blank ) one time talk with other fishermen ? This guy Todd in the Boston Whaler was all curious about the RH  Pro V that he'd never seen before so we had a nice chat. You know me, I'm kinda queer for boats so I told him the story about MP telling me that I never did anything to help with the yard and to help make our house look nice....I told her of course I do... I buy boats and park them in the yard and that Boston Whaler Newport model is a gorgeous thing for sure that would improve anyone's yard..
Here's pic of Lake Como which I guess you can say is my ' home water '. Unlike the Missouri this place is Alpine and has Kokanee as well as wild trout. We're goin there tomorrow and I have some of the weirdest flasher set up for Kokanee that I researched on YouTube. Absolutely strange with a rubber snubber as they're reported to have a soft mouth and for bait...Shoepeg corn, which I'd never heard of  and didn't even know existed.  I think humans can eat it to.
Well it's spring time for sure and now that I'm getting used to my new environment we'll be adventuring and I'll have  more to write about. Lots to do, Clark Canyon, Fort Peck, Tibor, Painted Rock and I know this sounds weird but every time I've driven Interstate 90 through Moses Lake Washington I've wondered about those lakes in the middle of nowhere , so we're going there to....And oh, we've only used up about 6 of our locations on the search for Montana's best Hot Springs so I hope you come along...
OH,,,,A little house keeping : This blog has  a " follow by e-mail " feature that some of you my use to be alerted of new posts. Starting soon Blogger is going to discontinue that feature. So you'll have to find me the old fashioned way, intuition for new post or just plain old bad luck. I will try to have an every two week or so schedule, I'm retired ya know 😎🎸🎸🎡🐟🐟

  

2 comments:

  1. Good to see some fish pictures. If you get into some Walleyes and don't want to eat them I'll gladly ride out to take them off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Jeff! Glad so see you enjoying some fishing in Montana. Retirement looks good on you my friend.

    ReplyDelete