Saturday, December 18, 2021

The right stuff

 Nobody will ever tell you recently retired guide #003 on the world famous doesn't know what he's doing. So as I bought my yearly new Plano Box because the rust they collect while you're up north discolors the expensive lures in them I decided on a new strategy . This year to keep the salt water out I'm not returning used lures to the box until after they're bathed in fresh water at the end of the day, just like my rod and reels. We'll see how it works . Just as on the Kenai where I'm convinced the shiniest and prettiest lures work best here on the playa I hate to see the lures with the dulled rust on them...

I also carry a small plano box just for Mirrolures which is my got to lure. The big box has top water poppers , Cabo Killers and Rangers. A collection of metal from 1 to 2 ounces and rubber swimfish in 1/2 to 2 ounces as well as pluma's feather jigs . So if you're coming to surf fish that box right there will about cover it....nice , new and shiney. And seeings as I'm on an education mission here I'll give you my number one piece of advice...if you don't know what to throw or if fishing is brutally slow throw metal, anything that swims will jump on a cast master or equivalent. The reason I have different sizes and shapes is simple the castmasters have great action but don't sink very fast and the action that makes them so good creates a lot of  drag that can make reeling tiresome. And for max distance yu want the lean looking metal like a Hopkins or a big swedish pimple....nothing will out cast a 2 ounce P-Line Lazer Minnow.....here's some consumables me and Jack got north of town a couple days ago.
Jack was looking for the good surf break and as we drove along the beach we stopped at any rocky point we came to and I caught a snapper off of the first two, on metal . We end up stopping while Jack gets out on his high tech sit down board that has a rudder etc...really cool.  As he surfed I cautiously climbed out onto the rocks and hooked the unstoppable. It was shiney and long and lean so I think one of the Mackerels they call a Snake Mackerel. I grabbed the reel and locked up the spool with only about 20 wraps left so that monster was half way to Cabo when the line parted. It was nice to be out in the wilderness again.

So with two nice pargo's it was off to Loco Loco's for entero. This something you just couldn't do at home and it sooooo  good. Crunchy and served with as nice garlic butter, washed down with a couple Pacifico's and a side order of fantastic conversation about books....Thanks Jack and Tammy for a great night and day.

So I'm half way through the process of 4 dental visits and new tooth. Right around the corner from Francisco's office is the coolest and cleanest little Marisco's joint where we had the crab tostados that we're hooked on....but check out this menu, next time we're steeping out and  going to untried palate places.
Here's an early Merry Christmas to all my readers....and thanks for reading...it's kinda like I say about the music, ' it's only music if someone hears it '





No comments:

Post a Comment