Monday, November 23, 2009

JET

Shes a Lab. Her name is actually Jetty (our boat launch used to be called Big Eddy Jetty, that story soon). But I guess you know I have a way of using initials and for me her name has evolved from Jetty to Jet to Jet-Dog and now to J.D.. M.P. calls her Jetzy or Jetzy Ru and sometimes when overfilled with emotion Jetzy Ru Ru Boo Boo.

MP says that having Jet makes me a better person. I don't know what it says about a guy if you need a dog to be a better person. But, as I'm on this quest to become as good a guy as I can I'll take all the help I can get. Maybe its because I'm Jets job. Jet likes MP, she likes Max and Sam, she even likes Gene Chambers but she LOVES me. Maybe even obsessed with me. Her job consists of following me and waiting for me.

Seven years ago on SuperBowl weekend a bunch of us all got pups from the same litter. Our friend Pat Carter has her sister Hannah and our friends Denny and Barb Roper have her brother Keetah. Everyone except those 3 people agree that Jet's the prettiest of the bunch. We sometimes have family reunions.

The only thing in Jets life that comes close to her love for me is her fascination with Tennis Balls. As you can see here she will do anything complete a retrieve. I'd give you 5 to 1 that if you dropped Jet off at a remote beach on Kodiak Island she'd have a tennis ball within 15 minutes. One thing I've learned from Jet is that a 7 horsepower snow blower cannot pass a Spaulding tennis ball.

Next to tennis balls and following me here favorite past time is smelling. Mile 14 here is surrounded by hundreds of acres of wilderness so theres grouse, ducks, coyotes, moose, bear...just lots of smells. But her favorite smell has to be fish. She loves em all from the fresh daily gut bucket to the freeze dried 2 month old humpy. So all summer as she sits on the picnic table waiting for just the right black boat to appear she's in sensory heaven. What a life. This time of year is a little tough on her smeller but she makes up for that with some tasting, she loves eating snow and we usually have all varieties.

So, thats the J.D. story here at Mile 14...' I wish I were half the person my dog thinks I am'.

1 comment:

  1. As I told my good blogger friend Dewey as he posted a similar article about his dog.............If you don't think a dog is man's best friend, lock it and your wife in the trunk for an hour and see who is happier to see you when you let them out! Getting good at the pictures!

    ReplyDelete