Sunday, July 11, 2010

It was how long ago???

Those folks there are Phil and Jean Shelton with their nephew David and his new wife Sarah. We met in 1986 and on our first ever fishing trip I knocked Phil's first ever King salmon off with the net. Our relationship survived that and now 25 years later we're like family, I love these folks. Phil and Jean are retired educators from Metropolis Illinois, all of us should be so lucky as to have our children taught by people like them, caring, insightful, free thinking and Phil knows more 'stuff' than anybody I ever met. Just the other day while fishing I was telling them about being invited up to the PentHouse of El Cid in Mazatlan to watch the Carnaval fireworks. I explained that our friend Rose works in Boise for the Symplot family and they share the Penthouse with her...Well Phil dug into his American history and told us all about how a fellow named Don Symplot invented the process for mass producing and freezing french fries that fueled the growth of American junk food and made the future for corporations like McDonalds. Now knowing that and being from Illinois is impressive. Phil and Jean travel the world and as they have no children they keep their family close. The next Pic is of the King Salmon David caught , I know alot of you Kenai people might think that fish is on the small side but our friend David is 6'9" and weighs 300 pounds.....or so....I'd guess....maybe...
Also this last week I had the privilege to guide and old friends father. Lori Landstrom was a Park Ranger here years ago and she picked me to take her 85 year old dad Larry fishing. We had a great time and Larry caught a salmon but I think maybe 8 hours in the boat was a bit long. I hope they were as tickled as I was proud to be able to guide them. Its really what this whole thing I do is about, to safely and comfortably share the outdoor experience.
Last week I reported on the mad mower, my wife. Now I kind of figure maybe a few of you thought I was exaggerating (as I'm prone to do) when I said she mows the road. Well, today I caught her and here's the proof. She says that if the blade wasn't so dull it probably wouldn't sound so bad. Yikes.
The last pic is us ending the weekend. Its finally sunny so MP and I and J.D. the jet-dog meet for a nice cold one on the overview. We all comment (except Jet of course) that its nice to see some boats out and people having fun. Several rafts and a canoe float by. Many Willie Boats clean up on step head downriver. To a boat guy theres something awful pretty about a well built boat with a humming 4-stroke motor making its way downriver. I like to watch the wakes build and then they dissipate with the last sign that a boat was ever even there is just bubbles. Its gorgeous, I suppose its the same as why people park near Airports to watch the planes land...

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, we had a great time and Dad has big plans to have his photo printed up and framed. Thank you for taking care of us.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete