Monday, August 2, 2010

The Boys in the Band

As our King season was winding down I got to thinking about all the cool people I get to meet and spend the summer with. This last week I fished 8 or 9 hours with 40 people, some like Nate Morton, Dick and Lorretta Hahn and Bill and Sally Brook are friends for life. But I got to thinking that besides MP the people I spend the most time with are the guides and fisherman that use our place here at Mile 14.
The first pic is Adam and Duncan 'Chick' Kishbaugh, a father son guide team. Chick has been guiding since the 70's and moved his operation to Mile 14 about 5 years ago. I've known Adam since he was a kid, these guys are Alaskan through and through. Of all the guides at Mile 14 Chick is the one you can count on to put things in perspective. With fishing a bit slow he'll say "hell, I've seen it like this for weeks, then slow down". Thanks for the inspiration Chick. Adam is a steady guy and their formula for success is easy to spot...common every day respect for each other.
That gal that has the dog that looks amazingly like Jet-dog is Mindy Paine. She's 30 years old and as you can see 5 months pregnant. She grew up with a fishing guide father so Charter fishing is in her blood. She is tuff...She juggles 2 kids with one coming while expertly fishing and running one of the larger guide services on the river. A few days ago MP was a bit frustrated with customers not being able to find their guides easily. Well, a chat with Mindy and things were running like clockwork the next day. Her and her Husband Rueben are a couple of my favorites and its my fondest hope that the River can do for them what its done for me and MP. I know one thing, if Mindy and Ruebens business future dims it won't be from lack of hard work.

The guy on the right is Ryan 'little Mac' McCormick. His dad is another guide here and of course would be 'big Mac'. Ryan goes to college in the 48 and has the perfect summer job, running a guideboat on the Kenai River. I guess I'm at that age where I notice but Ryan is respectful and watches, he's learning the craft of guiding. He's about as clean cut and dependable a young man as you've ever seen. Ryans dad has been fighting cancer and I've been moved by their outward displays of emotion. Any guy that would just hug his dad in front of all the guys and testoreone we have here at Mile 14 is OK with me.

That guy running the boat and smiling is Tim Marks. He's always smiling. The best way to describe my friend Marksy is to say he is forever young. He's a liquor salesman, ski bum, fishing boat rat, world traveler and just an all around adventurer....you guessed it, he's single. His dog Coho is Jet-Dogs oldest and best friend. I really think Tim's a pretty good fisherman but he has this uncanny knack for always showing up on the very worst days. Shoulda been here yesterday is the mantra if you go fishing with Marksy, the good news is he's kind of like a pharmacist and will have a few samples of product to fit the occasion and help you get over the disappointment of a skunked fishing day.

This next pic I had to print big because its perfect. My friend Jeff Fuze knows how to pose a salmon eh? I have to go to guide school next year and this is exactly what I hope they're teaching. How to hold a salmon for max effect. Beautiful...even the smile is perfect...amazing...
The last pic jumped out at me. How strange it was to see this right around the corner from my house. Cigarettes killed my friend Claude Bradford. Cigarettes killed my friend Dick Swarner. Whats there to celebrate about tobacco? I think that everyone who smokes wishes in private that they didn't. I got to thinking that all the people who attended this 'Festival' have so many that love them, why can't they love them back by trying to stay on the planet?....just me,that's what I think.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Jethro! Great pic of Chick & Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    Nice tribute to the people of Mile 14. I especially like Ryan and at first glance could not figure out what he was holding. In Taiwan these are a delicacy! Maybe you could start a new side business. I agree on the Tobacco Fest, having never smoked it's hard to understand. On the other hand there are people that don't understand my fishing so Oh well!

    ReplyDelete