Monday, September 13, 2010

Perfecto

As we get older I guess one of the things we learn is that the best of anything is the one that you're doing now so I use that as a qualifier when I say I just finished one of the best weeks of guiding in my 29 year history. Last week found me busy everyday and in the sunshine at that. We've had gorgeous sunny fall weather, it got all the way up to 67 degrees yesterday, wow.

I spent three days with one of the funnest groups I've ever had. I met Greg Smith and his wife a couple years back and this year he brought his four brothers up for their yearly get away. These guys were raised by a single mom and their bonding and accomplishment are impressive. The five brothers are a doctor, pilot, developer, engineer and a decorated soldier. They were raised in Mississippi and are the real deal when it comes to hunting and fishing. For me it was three days of belly laughing, great guys. Here's a pic of Greg, Ron, Randy, Mike and Bob, brothers Smith.

The Smith boys had to take Thursday off to see the Mississippi State football game so I got to fish with some locals, Gary and Maureen Hobe and their friend Rick. These guys are flight traffic controllers here at the Kenai hub. One trip with Gary Hobe did more to motivate me into the gym than a whole summer of fishing, we had licorice, payday bars, 3 inch thick sandwich's and real pop...no sugar free stuff with those guys. Rick caught 3 beautiful silvers, Gary....notta.


My old friend Ben Ellis was in town so I actually got to go fishing on Saturday. And yep, I've still got it. I caught 3 silvers in an hour and Ben caught 2, we had a double on to finish out our morning. Ben is about as interesting a guy as you'll ever meet. He came to town about 15 years ago to run the Kenai River Sportfishing Association. Before we had ever met both of us had heard that the other was a musician and we've been playing music together ever sense. I told Ben the other day that he's like a snake, he can shed his skin and start fresh easier than anybody I've ever met. He's been a college professor, a reporter for the Wall Street Journal as well as the Anchorage Times, he's been the director of the Sportfish group as well as the Executive Director of Wally Hickels Institute of the North and now he's selling Real Estate in Beach Haven New Jersey. He's been in love, he's been out of love. He's had his heart broke and healed. He's married to wonderful gal named Suzie and living on a 48 footer in the harbor. I'm impressed.

So me and MP have fresh fish, what a treat. I took this picture here to show you the fruits of our labor here at Mile 14 as we enjoy and all Alaska supper. I barbied the salmon and MP made garden fresh peas and potatoes and sliced some of our own red and yellow tomatoes. The bottle of Zinfandel was just for show, we actually had a bottle of Estancia Chardonnay that Chrisco left for us last week. mmmmm man was it all good.

Right before super we get a call from our neighbor Judy Swarner. She's been clearing out her shed and has a nice roto tiller to give MP. So MP goes up on the 4-wheeler to get it and comes back about as happy as I've ever seen her. The mad mower has a new machine. I kind of see a conflict coming here next spring. I'm not sure we have enough lawn for both a tilling and mowing fascination. mmmmm, we'll see.

So its sunny and warm, we're eating fresh salmon , MP's got a new toy and football season has started. Could it get any better? Yup, my friend Nate Morton arrives to fish on Sunday with his wife Mary and grandsons Lucas and Cory. We enjoy the sun together on Saturday night and then Sunday morning finds us anchored in the same spot where Ben and I greased em the morning before. Its foggy and quiet and guess what??? no fish. Yikes. But Nates not concerned and we spend a couple hours on one of our favorite things, analysing Alaska politics. But as much as I enjoy visiting with Nate fishin is the mission afterall and mid morning I take the boat to a place I've been saving. We run out the Kwikfish lures because those guys are so deadly they ought to be illegal and walla, Lucas has a fish on. Then Cory has a fish on. Then Mary has a fish on. Then Lucas has another fish on. Then Cory has another fish on. Then Cory and Lucas have fish on at the same time. And then Nate has....NOTTA, sorry Nate I gotta tell the truth. Skunked.

Wonderful week here at Mile 14, thats all I can say.


6 comments:

  1. Skunked, Commonly when I get skunked and it is more often than not, the others in the boat were very successful. I don't really get it but, My Grandsons Lucas and Corey had an experience they will remember their whole life. They caught their first Silver salmon with the best Guide on the universe and with their Grandad. When I gave them back to their parents last evening they were both still smiling. They limited out with very nice fish. They will remoind me often of this trip and it will be great to hear it eveyrtime they rub it in. I also lost $2.00 to them. PRICELESS! Thanks to our Guide Jeff "all Universe Guide" King. Always a GREAT Time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys had a great time with you Jeff. They both said you were a "Real nice person" and they smelled like fish when they got home so you did your job just perfectly! Way to skunk Dad too, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanks guys. Those boys are all boy Nate, Lukey was grabbin and smackin and pokin the fish. It was great. Its also nice to hear that I'm a "real nice person" mmmmmm,,,,,,MP says I can be that.....sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome trip Jeff! This is the only fishing for me. Always great to come down and see you and MJ and catch a few. Was certainly a special time this year with Lucas and Corey. Their smiles were from ear to ear telling their folks about the trip. At least Mimi didn't get skunked like grampy! Thanks for the memories and fishing Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff,

    That looks like and old Troybilt tiller. I have 2 of them and they are great. The tranny's last forever and you can still buy parts. Tell MP to be careful as that thing can drag her all the way to Sterling if she lets it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats exactly what it is Dave. Rear tiller machine with a 10 horse motor. You know alot of stuff....

    ReplyDelete