Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Silverado and a broken computer

I've been feeling terrible for not keeping up with my posts, you guys have all been so supportive and as I head towards the 10,000 reads milestone I want to keep up with the news from Mile 14. But I've got a good excuse, my computer got a virus or a worm or an eel and I didn't get it back from the doctor until just now. It was weird, everything worked except search and Google functions so that lead me to believe I could fix it myself. I learned alot about computers and myself. So let me pass on some advice.....don't make yourself a grande Tanqueray Martini and start pushing buttons. Its the reason my tech guy looked at it and said "wow, never seen anything like THAT before". But, we're all fixed up and ready to report on the weeks events here at Mile 14.

Those three there are Harry, Minny and Brian Emerson right from Ireland. Chick put them in the boat for me and boy was I happy for that. These guys are just as fun and lively as you'd expect from the Irish. Minny caught her two silvers on bobbers within 15 minutes of the start so she enjoyed heckling the boys the rest of the day. Although we supposedly speak the same language one or the other of us was having phonetic problems that day, depends on how you look at it I guess. Harry pronounces the word 'gate' as 'geet'. So it goes like this "wus dat year weaf ate the geet ?" to which I say "whaaaat"?

Also last week I fished my friends the doctors from Tennessee who come and do continuing education here on the river every Humpy season. A friend of mine Gary Blinn puts it all together and through the years we've become great friends. On Thursday night we have a going away party with real Mexican flank steak done by Joe Ray Del a Cruz and the venison I've ever had, it is Axis deer from Texas brought by Griff Thomas. Great time and I got to play music for the bunch. The next two pics I try to show the feel of the river as I head downstream just before sun up in the fog. The 1st pic is guideboat #003 prepped to leave and the 2nd pic is pulling into Beaver Creek to get the boys.

The next pic is of our catch that morning. The boys were dialed in . We caught these 8 silvers and a couple releasers all in an hour and a half. The big guy is my friend Chuck Sanders, a more interesting guy I've never met. He's an eye doctor and used to have a music store. He's a pilot and finger picks a guitar better than anyone I know. Kind of funny with people like me and Chuck, I'd love to play it like he does and he wishes he could amplify (sing loud eh?) a song like I do. I guess theres just no perfect package in this world, thank goodness.

Just this morning as we were walking the Jet-Dog MP and I came across this scene. Right on the side of our tier two Brown Bears built a bed and spent the night, it was darn near still warm. This year Bears have been everywhere, they take salmon into the woods and leave piles of bones. They turn over our dumpster and wake up the dog late at night. But the way we run things around here they have the right-of-way , we'll get used to em.

Now if you don't think the Kenai river is a cool place just check out this next series of pics. This place is bank fishing heaven. As we road the bikes this morning we came across these guys floating their bobbers under the bridge. Theres a perfect eddy there to collect silvers and the government has bought them that nice boardwalk to0 fish from, how civilised eh? Then we get down to Centennial Park where 20 to 30 people were fishing. Its maybe the only place in Alaska where you can still fish from your car just like they did it at the Causeway on Lake Helena when I was a kid. If its raining , no problem, just role the window up....We came across this last scene of an experts fishing equipment. As you can see he has it all. Rod holders, cutting board for bait and a big ole single jack hammer for executing the fish. I asked him if it was OK to take a pic of his gear...he said " I don't give a &**%$"....so then I asked if the fishing was slow....he said " its to #%&^@# to be slow"....so I said maybe it'll be better tomorrow....he said " I *&^%#ing doubt it"..... I decided not to ask if he needed a guide....

1 comment: