Friday, February 18, 2011

Streeks are made to be Broken

See that green Ranger lure hanging from that toro's mouth? Well thats my favorite lure in the entire world. With the big rod I'm chucking that 3 ouncer at least 125 yards and then a fast retrieve and it skips along the water driving the Jacks and Roosters crazy. For years I really hadn't used it for toro as I thought they were too big so I only used them for Roosters, lately I've found that was wrong, the Jacks eat them, big time. So this week I kind of deserted the team to stay home and fish the topwater, its the best bite in fishing, sometimes the fish follows for the entire retrieve just to take it at the shoreline once he's run out of water. Plus the Jacks are real school fish and rarely come in ones, when you catch them you catch alot of them. Naturaly I prefer the bigger, prettier Roosters and theres finally been some spottings, but if I can't catch them these 'budget Roosters' will do any time.

But Slah called the other day and it sounded like they had the Corvina surrounded out north. I've been having trouble catching the darn things but today the streek ended, we waxed em pretty good. The next three pics I'm leaving uninterupted and in order. Its Slah landing the first Corvina of the day for Ernie. You really need someone in the surf to help with the gaff, the darn fish have a fairly soft mouth and the extra drag of pulling them up the beach is when they're most often lost. Now Slah is a guy who's always in a hurry, I guess its because he knows exactly what he's doing so watching him land a fish is no different. This one here he sliced, poked and wacked at for a minute then said "%@*&^ it!" and reached down and grabbed it. I was glad it was him and not me, theres alot of responseability with it and I don't need the stress of a 'shamazle' as Ern would say. This one was just a semi-shamazle, happy ending.


The next pic is me with a typical Corvina, its the yellowtail variety and about as good a food fish as you can get. We're fishing the rocks and the metal lures are what they like best so it gets a little expensive. A two and a half ounce Krocodile costs over ten bucks and we routinely snag em or power cast em off the line, but, its the the price of glory eh? The other day I chucked one off on the first cast......emmmm....

The last pic is the boys with the mornings catch of 7 nice Corvina. Our friend Thomas there is in town and holding down the lead off spot while Jay is in California. Pretty chuckly time on the beach, just fog and us.....Its 5 am as I type this so Its out the door in just a second for another run at them, I'll report back. Thanks for stopping at Mile 14.

1 comment:

  1. Nice fish! I am heading to Rockport Texas on March 4th for an airboat adventure fishing the barrier marshes. Supposedly the redfish should be going good. Still waiting for that civiche recipe!

    ReplyDelete