Saturday, February 26, 2011

Perfection

As you know, I've been on a few fishing trips. I've seen it magic, tragic and points in between. I've fished in a class 5 gale with my buddy Nate and 100 degree heat with Jake Margues. I've caught a few fish, I've caught no fish and I've seen the water turn red behind the boat...but, maybe the best fishing trip of my life was just the other day. It was the perfect combo, all the elements wrapped into one 6 hour trip. Interesting and up beat companions with an international twist, balmy warm with flat seas, good food and some of the most beautiful fish I've ever had the previledge to see.
I usually like to have my feet on tera firma here in Mazatlan. I really enjoy the challenge and athleticism of surf casting and quite frankly I spend enough time in a boat every summer. But my friends had a corvina attack planned so I'm in . The day before the crew lead by Antonio and Thomas had come across some birds right outside the harbor. Thinking toro they slowed down and started to troll metal lures when they looked at the fishfinder and saw huge fish suspended at 20 feet. So the simplest way to get there was with a 20' rapala and in no time the rod goes off...but they're still thinking toro. Well the fish fights and fights and finally comes into view they can't believe their eyes, its a gorgeous yellowtail Corvina just like the one our friend Steve is holding in the first pic. Before stopping at 1 pm they had caught 13 of them for a total weight of over 300 pounds. If records were kept, this would be one, its all the buzz at the harbor, never has a load of corvina came in like this. So the next day we're out and everythings perfect. A half hour in I'm running the boat and see on the screen 5 to 7 large fish, as they hit about mid-screen the rod goes off on the outrigger and its game on. This is no bite, its flat on, the release clacks and clangs and the alarm on the reel goes to rattling. Its a great bite, a bit like when the rod goes off in the holder when you're pulling a K-16 Kwikfish and a 50 pound salmon jumps on it. You hear it as well as see it, the rod kind of stresses and the drag rips out...I'm impressed. The second pic is me and Ern with the double we caught, man that was exciting. Mine hit first and Erns while he was clearing the water. These two fish were the only 'chata's' of the day, as you can see they don't have the yellow and the tail is shaped just a bit different, but gorgeous fish.

No matter where you go its a bit the same, theres no secrets in big time fishing. We're really not far from shore so people see the excitement and of course theres always what I call the seagulling routine...where people look for other people and boats instead of fish. So this 3rd pic is a bit of that, we have a fish on and this panga driver needs to get close to see whats in its mouth. We landed the fish on the other side of the boat of course.

The last pic is Slah moving our load. We had 7 Corvina that ranged between 18 and 30 pounds. I took one home and it was enough to spread around to 6 different people and more for us tonight. Friday night we went to Slah's home in centro Mazatlan. His wife Maria had it prepared Mexican style, baked with nice veggies on top and nice mild red sauce. As we ate Slah asked what I thought about the whole deal....well....I'm thinking those beautiful fish aren't really that far out of my casting distance, I'm just going to have to practice more and work harder, I'll get it out that far next year.

4 comments:

  1. Sure is a SWEET looking fish. They look like they fight hard and are very fast. I don't know anyone that loves fishing more than you. Rock on my Man! Fill that cooler chest in your heart!! hey that was pretty good eh? You can use it if you want. ha ha.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awful darn poetic Nate. And yes, they are fast fish but not like salmon and especially not like the Roosterfish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffro...You look like you are havin way to much fun!!! When is your turn up?? 10:24 mns daylight gaining almost 6 mns a day.Still a bit cool..cjfsr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re-entry on sunday Chris. Time flys when you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete