Thursday, April 7, 2011

The King's Speech

Lately I've been hearing the use of this word 'code' for whats really being said. Well here at Mile 14 we don't speak code but we do have our own unique vocabulary to fit our own unique lives. We lovingly refer to our circle of friends as F-troop and through the years that group has grown to include most of my fishing  team. So like everything else we collaborate on the jargon we use, here's some examples.

mismal..... miss-mull...Its like when things are dismal but way worse.

shamoozle......sha-maz-ill....Like yesterday when I used the wrong card in the ATM, I've got two cards that look alike. So,  seeing as I was at the bank I had the pin number changed, figureing that was the problem.. So when I changed it on the wrong card and then used the right card naturally the pin was wrong again.  That's a mini-shamoozle. It would be used like this, "oh no, another shamoozle".

cheeeekin....cheeeekin.....when you eat as much of it as I do on my high protein diet you can't just call it chicken. It would be used like this " how would you like your skinless, boneless, flavorless baked cheeeeekin?" or " your cheeeekin is ready".

rain locker.....the shower.

Hamite.....ham-eye-t.....someone who loves ham or thinks ham can fix things. You know a hamite when on every single  one of the 4 yearly ham holidays or learning of a loss in the family you hear " I'll put a ham in the oven"...that's a hamite.

steamer......jet-dogs droppings.

hand holder....a trip with your wife to any of these places, museum, art gallery, crafts fair, greenhouse , fabric store or  thrift store. One hand holder equals three fishing trips with team X.

buckle polisher.....slow dance or a slow song.

bonafeedes......bone-a-feed-ez.....credentials....like when I go to register at State Parks for my guide permit I take along 700 bucks and all my bonafeedes.

Outcome....the opposite of income... "man, this time of year its all outcome and no income".

toad strangler......hard rain

whacked em......good fishing

steady..... used to describe poor fishing...."Bob, wouldn't you say the fishing was awful steady today?" Team X'ers or F troopers never use negative terms like stinks, slow, terrible, dead , boring or sucks.... Team X'ers believe that the fishing is always good, its just the catching that is sometimes problematic.

Lettuce....money...." man, that shamoozle cost me some serious lettuce".

gawker....a guy with a brand new F-350 diesel dually that comes to mile 14 " just to look around" . A good gawker's truck is so long that when he turns around he drives far enough into your lawn that he flattens the sprinkler.

Well, you get the idea. Maybe I'll add to this dictionary as we go along with spring time in Alaska. Speaking of which here's a pic of me on the way to the gym this morning, just your usual spring blizzard with 5 inches of snow....no where near being a shamoozle, just ordinary life at mile 14.

1 comment: