Saturday, June 11, 2011

Code of The West

When I was young guy with some things, especially difficult things I was a bit lazy. But now that I'm full grown and on this quest I work hard, extra hard to be lazy at nothing, whether its work, relationships or even having fun. Thats where what I call 'the code of the west ' comes in...its something everyone wants to do and even thinks they do but mostly don't. Its the simple value of loyalty, the word I like best is 'fidelity' which Websters defines 'faithfulness' ; careful and exact observance of duty, or performance of obligations or vows.
It goes on ' firm adherence to a person or party with which one is united, or to which one is bound, loyalty'.

So in my world its simple and of the most importance, take care of the people that take care of you. It means  paying maybe just a bit more for the product your friend sells. It means thinking of who has helped you in the past and making sure to help them. It means being honest and direct. It means making simple decisions like who you should buy what from, because they're your friends and you want them to do well. It means not only do you support your friends but also protect them, you defend them, you stand up.

But...I've noticed alot of your friends don't mind you making money, they just mind you making any of THEIR money. I don't understand, and never will. I guess simple jealously explains it and I'm glad I wasn't born with that gene. To me, when you cheat on your wife, your friend, your business associates the worse part is that you cheat yourself.  How can you be proud of your life if you have no fidelity?

I've always set the standards high in my life and  so I'm always disappointed in people who don't have the same standards. MP says that with me its all black and white, no grey areas. For awhile I kind of thought that it was my problem but I'm secure enough now that I see it for what it was...people who don't know the code of the west aren't your friends and never were. So, I've cut alot of people from my team over the years, alot. I don't have many  friends but the ones I do have are true. Its a shame and if I sound like a pompous *^^$# its too bad, seems like theres more of them  out there than there are of me in this old world.

A few years ago an awkward situation arose with one of my friends. After explaining why he did what he did he asked if we could still be friends through 'all this'. Well, why would you ask that if you didn't know for sure you'd broken the code??? I replied that of course we're friends, but I have two kinds of friends....those that would do things that would harm me and my family, and those that wouldn't.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN ! Love your out look on life...keep writing..I'm listening

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry Jeff the Hollis12 comment is from me Marci Swan don't know why it went through like this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have figured you out Marc. I hear you got a nice King salmon and a white one at that?

    ReplyDelete