Monday, August 29, 2011

Home Land Defense

Well,  we were awoken twice this last week at 2 am by Jet-dogs no B.S. bark. Once for about a 600 pound brown bear in our yard and once by a spotlight from a State Trooper searching the grounds here at Mile 14.  It seems that at our local meth-crack-rip off- lazy bum house someone went missing and the person that called the Troopers left him with the impression that she might have gone to the river. We've been through 3 years of hell with these people, the kid who is in his mid 20's has been arrested 10 times and is awaiting trial on a felony drug charge. The mom is in a methadone program. The house has frozen up and theres no sanitation. There was shooting at the house 2 years ago. They're 86'd from our property but defiant....so me and MP figured it was time to go to defcon 4.....and do some shooting of our own.
It turns out MP's a pretty darn good shot. We have a personal protection piece that was passed down to us, Woody used to call it a 'bean'. So as you can see from the next photo we have MP pretty well 'qualified' as the experts would say. The X'd holes are hers and the rounded holes are mine. She keeps the bean close by and I'm pretty confident that we have the neighbor intimidated enough that he wouldn't try anything and if he did he could get himself shot real easy.
 So we shot off 50 rounds or so about cocktail hour so the neighbor could hear and it was fun....but things just change in our world and not only don't TV sets last like they used to but they're not as fun to shoot up either. The old tube type would explode and throw glass around, this 1500 dollar Visio just kinda layed there....very disappointing. Oh, don't buy that brand, it was only 4 years old.

I don't know if its because of the intensity of my July or the fact that I'm 58 years old but time just seems to be scootin right by. The leaves here already have a hint of yellow on them and on our bike ride we came across the following sign. So wherever you're reading this blog entry from just be glad you're not seeing these temps yet. Folklore here says that the snow will be as deep as the Fireweed is high and with temps like this in august...well....bring er on, winters coming. And ahh....well....I gotta hurry with the rest of this blog so I can buy Vegas plane tickets for October, we're fighting back.

On that same bike ride we came across this system of bank fishing. Only on the Kenai could you see something this cool and with such good success. The guys use our habitat friendly elevated platform at the bridge to walk along as their bobbers float through what us guides call 'the frog water'. What a deal, bank fishing with exercise, I might give it a try myself next week.

I don't suppose the Chamber of Commerce ever expected a scene like this on their beautifully crafted deck project but I think its ultra cool.
This fellow here proudly showed me his catch, 2 silvers in 20 minutes....yikes....don't be telling everybody that, I need a job. But as I spoke with him the coolest thing was what he said about his fishing partner who was yet to catch one. " He doesn't fish so good but I just love to fish with him....he's like...family". Well, that put the whole fishing deal into perspective for me. As I snapped pics and talked to the guys MP stood her distance and looked a little annoyed that I was chatting fish....well, thats me, its what I do.
Its the first time I really looked at our new bridge. The next pic I just liked the focus of it and the turquoise of the water. Then I got to noticing the custom rock work on the pilaster in the middle of the river. Now thats pretty cool but really, c'mon, do we need custom work on the bridge pier? Do you think most people notice? Do you think maybe thats kinda how we got 400 zillion trillion in debt?
I started back in the gym today. I have to do a preemptive strike on my body weight....cause I'm eating soooo good. The procedures have made my throat feel new, even fluids are going down easier. But, I have a peptic ulcer so I'm on a lifetime Prilosec routine and I think my tanqueray martini days are finito. The situation in the neighborhood is well known and the Troopers say they're on top of it. So no worries really, I'd rather not have to worry about being robbed but rest assured we have it covered....home land defense and the jet-dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment