Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back in the Game

After sitting on my hands for a few days due to a river scene like this we're out fishing again in nice clear Kenai colored water....but, its awful high for this time of year. The rain that I reported on last week was enough at the headwaters to make the river jump up and just barely miss a full blown flood stage down here at Mile 14. The silver fishing itself remained a bit catchy but for several days it just wasn't entirely safe to be out there with all the floating debris. You hit a log, it kills the motor, you end up in a sweeper, boats over, you're swimming....bad deal. So I had 3 canceled trips, my friend Tom Riette is a local guy who can fish anytime so we figure discretion was the better part of valor and we'd do it another time.  I have to say I was shocked here at the boat launch to several of our guides leave for fishing in the dark to 'get their spot' with all the logs floating down the river....fish ain't that important, period.

The graph at right shows you where we are. The pyramids at the bottom are the average flow for this time of year. Once again I'll tell you this is the coolest info and its nice to see a real usable use of our government funding. Just google USGS real time stream flow data and then add the Kenai to your favorites. Every morning I go to this page to check our conditions and then go to the NOAA weather forecast....which has to be the most conservative forecaster on the Internet. According to NOAA the best it EVER gets around  here is 'partly sunny'.

So we have two more weeks of fishing to go here at Mile 14. I have my friend and confidant Nate Morton coming this weekend and next week I have friends and even a double day booked where we're doing a trip for the Cabaret and Bar owners Association. With the high water we kind of have to re-learn the fishing trends a bit so yesterday with a fun group of folks from Australia we did our research and frankly didn't do quite as well as we're used to. We caught them but didn't set any records....but I'm confident we're going to make the lines tug real good in the next few days.
Great smile huh?....thanks Jere, you're a cooool a guy. So please come back to the blog and we'll wrap up the fishing and then a road trip to Las Vegas via a side road to Death Valley and more. Then we'll do a little bird hunting and...well....have fun. As we approach 20,000 reads I gotta thank you all, pretty cool to have you with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment