Monday, August 13, 2012

What in the world were you thinking ?

I've heard that or a variant of that a lot in my life. And it happened again Sunday night. I had gone to the Freddies store to get our special meal, celebrate a great week of fishing here at Mile 14 with a nice Angus New York, a fresh caprici salad, some fresh bi-color sweet corn that came up with my friend Dave Anderson from Minnesota paired with my favorite wine, a nice Argentina Malbec....and some Limburger cheese.
I spotted it in the discount bin...I guess that should have told me something, but, I realised that I had never actually tasted Limburger cheese so I called MP to seek her counsel. Of course she agreed that she'd never tasted it also and seeing how it was just a buck we'd give it a try, what the hey. The way my mind works is that people must like it or they wouldn't produce it and  after all I'm the guy that sings the song ' I'll try anything twice', so I headed home with it. Well I did get to recalling that I new a bit about it, we'd put some on the exhaust manifold of my friend Al Mack's Cadillac when he got married 40 years ago and the car always seemed to smell a little earthy for year or so after that...but what the hey.... So after supper as is our routine MP brought out the apertife, a couple whole grain crackers with a nice pungent mound of Limburger cheese, and I mean pungent. Oh man, I'm a pretty creative guy but even I'm going to have a hard time descibing the smell. And the worst part is that is tastes just like it smells....like old socks, like the inside of my Extra-Tuff boots that I wear everyday after the dog barfed in them...its disgusting. With the first bite I was a bit repelled but the left side of my brain told me it was the smell and if I could just get past that the taste might be OK. WRONG. So please you guys help me out, if any of you know who or why they like it or what uses it must have for cooking or trapping mice or whatever let me know. I gotta know, its hard to imagine that people actually eat it....but then again, I did.....once.
That's Mick DeSantos, an example of why I have to go to Mazatlan. Its good for my psyche, its good for me and MP together, its warm, its musical and its good for business. Mick is the 3rd or 4th group I've taken out this year that I know from Mexico. He was in town with his son Geno and after seeing the river and all the excitement here at Mile 14 he just had to catch some silver. We had a great time. I even got to trade some fishing for more condo time in Mazatlan, MP kinda wanted the money but I figure its just like money except that you can't spend it. Remember...the key to happiness is to spend your lettuce on experiences and not things. Things get tired, they rust, they quit, but memories stay for ever. In fact this guy below, my friend Steve Hauser said exactly the same thing. Steve is one of the brightest guys I know. He brought his grandson up to fish and we had a great discussion, thanks for the counsel Steve. Its the coolest thing about my job, I'm exposed to so many folks from different area's, different cultures and of different life views. I soak it all in and through the years I think I've learned alot....just no body ever told me about the Limberger cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I know the cheese should be the high point, but I'm still pondering whether you really wear your Extra-Tuff boots every day after the dog barfed in them???

    Glad to know things are still exciting at Mile 14.

    ReplyDelete