Monday, April 22, 2013

Ice Out

All over Alaska people have cabin fever, its just that in between time of year. I think it was our own Congressman Don Young who famously said...."you can't just let nature run wild". And I think Alaskans believe that, just today this picture was in the paper of two guys hurrying mother nature along by shoveling off the greens at the Palmer Golf Course.
So of course we're in a similar state of mind here at Mile 14. That darn river just doesn't want to 'break up' so with the leadership and counsel of my friend Lew Boersma we're helping it...
But seriously, we've had ice out here in 2010 and 2011 on April 15th, last year it was on the 18th and this year ??? well, its happening now as I type. Just a few minutes ago I took this pic from the sand spit half way down the road, The ice is collapsing and very spongy, today its supposed to get up into the 40's so I'd say its a done deal, break-up at last.
But on Saturday it was killing me, I'm a river man and I was seriously needing the sights and sounds of flowing water. So we went to one of my favorite places, the river walk here in Slowdotna which will be the future signature feature of our town if you ask me, This was the view, just gorgeous but as you can see  mother-nature has a lot of work to do in a short time, that's the Alaska story. Although it doesn't seem like it sometimes but nature happens quick here and within a week or two people will be floating through and enjoying this stretch of river.
Always on the look out for the unusual we came across this perfectly balanced ice sculpture. Just like music some art is fleeting, you just have to be there.
We came across this yearling, his prospects are looking up just like ours. Ya made the winter baby, good work.
As we circled back through town and walked by our old house we both commented on this tree. I guess its kind of our Alaska story in a tree...it took a long time to grow from that little sapling we planted 35 years ago but now its steady and strong. It's been nipped by moose, hit by cars and pee'd on by dogs but now its a thing of beauty, a Montana Ponderosa Pine right here in Soldotna. And the pic below the tree is my favorite of us, that is until my next favorite.

And below is the pic I promised to take every entry. It sure looks an awful like the last few pics but change is going to hit over drive here real soon...that's the Alaska deal. So please come back to the Mile 14 blog, I think the next few weeks will be interesting and entertaining. I know they will be for me anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I think it was actually ol' Wally Hickel who said it, but it's still a great quote. Thanks for posting all these pics - especially the tree.

    Hope spring hurries along for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mel, it was good ole' Wally Hickel who said You just can't let nature run wild.
    signs of spring-yeah!! I saw snow geese in Anchorage yesterday. Keep up the good read, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mistake. Sometime when we're together Lori and Mel remind me to tell you about the time MP and I met with governor Hickel and Jack Coghill during the second election campaign....those guys was something!

    ReplyDelete