Monday, August 25, 2014

My favorite color

Well this time of year it's silver of course. For a few weeks every July it's red and every so often I kind of blend it all together into a rainbow. I think if you really knew, down deep most peoples favorite color is green and I have to admit every now and then I give that one a look... but I like em all....how's this for a gorgeous spectrum display.
When you take Alaskan's fishing it's always a big thing for me, after all they know the fish, they know the guides, they know the route. So it was pretty cool to fish with Jeremy and Aly and watch them net their own fish. And a pic of Jeremy with Bill and a days work....in the sunshine for a change I might add.
99.9% of my fishing friends want that beautiful salmon filleted, it just seems like that's the way it's done. But personally when I have fresh fish I think the best you can do is a steak off the butt piece of the salmon direct of the barbecue grill. And that's what these guys wanted, here's a pic of me with  pile of good eating, awful pretty if you ask me.
Meet Dave and Jen Wolgast. Oh boy, Dave there was flat hard on those silver salmon...and he wasn't to bad on the hump attack as well.  They're both sardine researchers for NOAA so I guess we have a lot in common....fish-I-tis....
I spent three days with my friends Pat and Barb Moran and Mark Larson with his son Dan. I took this picture of us early in the morning so you could get a feel of what it's like in the fog...It's so damp that Barb wipes my glasses off as I slowly make my way downriver. Every so often we come across a boat light that always gets bigger and than quickly disappears , I think when that happens those boats are closer than we think...but we get safely 5 miles down the river and fish with the fog kind of muting the sounds of the river and the animals, the seagulls seem to whisper in it and I guess we kind of do also. I've known Pat since the 80's and all I can say is this...although we don't see each other routinely as we grow older we're on the same schedule, enjoying life, staying healthy, loving those wives and...well, we're friends.
As I often do with fishermen like these guys I just net the fish and hand it to the crew to take care of from there.  Well Dan there caught the bloodiest silver salmon of the 2014 season...so far anyway. So if you get in the Minnow 4 anytime soon and she just has this kinda dull sour smell that floats up from under the diamond plate floor...just call Dan Larson in Greeley Colorado and give him the jazz.
Here's a pic of father and son. Dan will soon graduate from the University of Wyoming as Petro Chemical Engineer so he could easily end up here in Alaska. We'll leave the light on Dan, you'd make a great addition to our state.
And here's a pic of an original, Joe Ray De La Cruz....fishing with Joe Ray is more of an event than a fishing trip. When you fish with Joe Ray you really need to stay hydrated so your abs don't cramp up from bending over laughing. Joe is Part of the Doctor's group that Gary Blinn brings up every other year since 1998... more on those guys next week.
I know, I know, I know....that's a lot of dead fish pics and through the years I've told you that unlike some of the guys out here I try to focus on other things besides just killing the fish, which we sure do. So here's a pic of something we didn't kill . He jumped around on the ground 40 feet from the boat and Barb and I got the cameras out...I never get tired of entertainment like that, never.




1 comment: