Wednesday, April 8, 2015

April showers bring.....

more showers. Or so it seems around here, right now we are getting a skiff of snow over most nights and people who don't migrate as we do are telling me it's the most snow we've had all winter.  As for me, I'm getting settled in and it's nice to be back around my gym, my guitars and of course the river out our back door.

As you might remember I worked hard to get close to my goal of 185 pounds before we got to Mazatlan. The closest I got was 187 but I still lost 15 pounds in 2 and 1/2 months, not bad....well, I get to MZT and I just have the feeling that the cerveza and papa's were taking a toll on my gut. I was happily surprised to get back and weigh in at an even 190 and have stayed there for a week and a half.  I do believe it was the extra cardio as not only do you burn the calories but I think it ramps up your metabolism for fat burn 24 / 7. My friend Mike and I who share the elliptical trainers daily agree that breaking a good sweat and getting your heart rate to around 125 for a guy my age is about right several times a week. I got a surprise call from an old friend In Redwood City California and in the conversation I learned he was fighting a weight issue and I hope I encouraged him....walking is great but I'm convinced that you need a good sweat hard cardio session maybe twice a week and then a regular cardio session every day. Here's a pic of me today after 45 minutes on the trainer set at level 10 for a fat burn of 700 calories. For me I hope to capitalize on my current momentum and maybe get down to that low body fat 175 pounds or so.....ya gotta have goals.
Of course I've been driven to the river several times. I have to tell you that it feels a little lonesome without the Jet -dog looking after me. Because she was always cruising the perimeter I really never worried about bears to much...but now I sing and talk to myself and do what they tell you to be bear wise. This is how fall-in-hole looked just the other day.
I cruised up the outside of our island to check on what the human activity at the new sonar site had done to the vegetation. It was something that I was worried about with this new program as we all hate to see more human footprint in the wilderness....I was happily surprised. It seems that ADF+G is getting this part right. There are no trails beat down or garbage lieing around as I feared. They put up temporary metal grating and it must be working so here's something they don't hear much from me...Kudo's to ADF+G for looking out after our habitat. BUT....I was a little dumb founded to see this paint ball on a tree right where the sonar sits. I ain't Inspector Closeau but I guess somebody figured it would help them relocate the same place over and over, pure science.
And of course I found my first treasure of the 2015 salvage season. With all the ice it's still hard to get to the good places but I found this half a twenty dollar fishing rod....I'd call that ten bucks, wouldn't you?
I'm going to take a chance with the next pic. I came across it several month backs but out of respect for all my Canadian friends as well as my own safety I decided to hold onto it until I was out of gun shot range....C'mon you guys, ya know I love ya and ya gotta admit that's pretty darn chuckly.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes my Canadian friends would like to turn that around! I saw Ken and Judy Marlow at the Minneapolis Sport Show and they acknowledge the lack of snow and that this year's salvaging may not be as productive as past years because the water is pretty high.

    ReplyDelete