Thursday, May 28, 2015

A Vintage Life

My running partner / counselor / fellow democrat and lover had a big day yesterday and so  we here at Mile 14 decided to welcome her into her 6th decade with a little get together in the sunny shadow of the Kenai River here at Stewart's Landing. That pic I took on memorial day when we went agate hunting at Coho beach, she's holding some beauties.

Our son Sam surprised us with a visit from Seattle . I'd been there just a few weeks back but MP hadn't seen him for a year so even though he's a bit more ' nocturnal' than us, we're having some quality time. As we waited for our Alaska family to arrive me and Samurai took the opportunity to do what I do best...nothing important.  When I golf  I spend a little time in the woods and by the number of balls I find it's apparent I'm not the only one. We started out with the big dog driving them from the house to the parking lot but got a little bored with that so we decided to send them on a one way trip. I never did clear the river but Sam had that perfect swing that just seemed to just keep going , like a lazer shot, I'd say 280 yards. And we even had a little Junior golf instruction....Emma's were about the only ones we found. I got a a kind twisted reward feeling from plunkin a one dollar Titliest 1 into the river that some 'real' golfer had drawn his line and dotted his mark on.
Here's the pic of what Mp calls our Alaska Family. My sisters family the Mahurin's are now scattered to the wind and me and Nephew Mitch are the last Mohican's. But like most Alaskan's we forged family like friendships to make up for for having left it all behind 40 years ago.
Neil couldn't come...somebody around here has to work but Connie and Neil Arthur have shared the world with us. They were part of a group of people that Mp and I first noticed at a 4 X 4 race...after seeing that they were having more fun than anybody in town I told MP " we're going to be friends with those guys". Their daughters Jesse and Janey brought all the kids bringing a wonderful energy that I wish there was more of here at Mile 14. Dan and Teresa Sterchi who helped me stay on my first big job in 1980 and make enough money for my first guide boat. Dan was the guy that I learned it with, many a fish got it's eyes crossed by us in the early 80's. My nephew Mitch and his recently graduated nurse wife Jessica...this guy needs to write his memoirs someday. Keith and Jane Holtan, I met Keith when he was 18 and I was 28. His dad was the first guy to spend a bunch of lettuce on a new guide and taught me.....' hey ! you can make $$$$ at this '. Keith guided for me a short time and now is a close friend and peer. Destined to be a true Alaskan is Corey McKay, new to Alaska she is the sister in law of one of MP's nieces...so we're darn related to her and her 3 girls.
Ahhhhh...don't she look happy cutting that cake ?
My nephew, Mitchell Lee Mahurin.
Sam, Avery and Jesse....oh, our Alaska family is expecting an addition. How's about MP's fish that aren't fish stained glass....jellyfish, cuttlefish....you get the idea.
Jane and Teresa....it was a really nice night but you know the Alaska deal...even when it's warm it's cold....mmmmm, got that. Thanks everybody, MP had a wonderful night.

And in the ' you heard it here first category'....I always say that whatever the Dept of Fish and Games tells you will happen usually just the opposite occurs. Well, I sense fulfillment of prophecy coming on here. Now granted only 10 days of sonar counts are available but already we are ahead in our King salmon counts by a factor of at least 3 over the last two years. Imagine that, King salmon returning to the Kenai river, what in the world is ADF+G going to do about that ?????
And here's the newest one published on Friday 5/29 . It shows we are ahead of the last year by roughly a factor of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment