Sunday, May 22, 2016

Busy Work

That's my job these days. I'll tell you this much, as soon as the Fishery Managers let this fishing guide go fishing I'll be the most prepared outfit in Alaska, my stuff is shined and new lined, it's double checked and ready to rock....new filters, new line, new drag washers.... I even have a brand spanking new garbage can in the boat.

Speaking of the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game ( I promise this will only take a second) , I have to hand it to you guys for doing your usual yeoman's job of not doing two things. One, your job, and two, what you tell people you'll do. You see every year for the last 35 they would release sonar counts daily starting May 15th....river people like I us deserve to know. Well, it got kinda strange for the ADF+G so they decided to release the counts bi-weekly, every Tuesday and Friday staring May 15th. Well today is the 22nd and one Tuesday and one Friday has come and gone with....nadda...So c'mon you guys, let's get the info out to the people whose lives revolve around it and like the rest of us....let's be optomistic for a more normal early  King run...

The picture below is maybe the most scenic Sewer Plant in the world. MP and I went for our daily one hour walk on the beach at the mouth of the Kenai River and I just had to take a pic. I have a soft spot for that place. I spent the summers of 1979 and 1980 building that place and not only did it make me enough $$$ to get my first real boat but in a left handed way I did my first guiding. John Manson the job Supt. would pay me regular hours to take him on the river most Fridays once he heard I had a boat. So that Sewer plant which I hear is one of the cleanest and best in the state is still just a ticking away...and so am I.
It was 7 a.m. and Mt. ReDoubt had a cloud layer under it....the farther we walked the more it 'opened up' and I reminded myself to not take this for granted, what a gorgeous place.
I snapped a pic of the beach looking back towards the river. I guess you can see that our neighbors are getting ready for their commercial season . We didn't run into the deal that made those tracks, just another couple hikers....it was wonderful.
We all know whats coming, the hectic mad rush for red salmon. This beach here gets thousands of dip netters, you've seen the pics I'm sure. So I took a couple pics of the crowd control, kinda jumped out at me don't ya know. The first is at the beach in Kenai and the second at Soldonta Creek Park here in my hometown....you tell me but I think those guys in Kenai are way better in the ' NO' department. Of course Kenai deals with dipnetters and Soldotna sportfishermen so we have a softer approach eh.
And man did I hit home run with a pic. We were eating a breakfast sandwich from our favorite grocery store the IGA in Kenai in front of the bird viewing platform and Walla...birds.  When you use a lot of zoom on moving creatures you usually miss...but the other day it was perfect. bullseye.
It was pretty cool. When we drove home I had to stop along the river at Cunningham Park and see what was going on. There was a guy teaching his great nephews about Hooligan fishing and low and behold it was Greg Geller and old friend of mine. We chatted from a distance and he and I both agreed that those little ol Holigan are just like salmon but smaller....and we didn't have to say what we both were thinking that morning... it's about way more than fish. Pretty cool Greg, good job.
I've had a lot of fun lately using my I-Phone to record my music. I've been sent to garage for the summer so the sound really bounces around in there and with only the phone it's a little on the tinny side of the sound deal. Even when I use my Martin guitar as I did for this song it doesn't sound full. So if any of you guys have any ideas please holler...just don't tell me to give it a rest...please.... I have my pride ya know.  Maybe I'll get a go pro. But this Kevin Fowler song is a fun one , I like the flow of it and I hope you do to.

No comments:

Post a Comment