Monday, May 16, 2016

Man, was that ever a nice summer

Boy howdy, Slowdotna USA is coming off a 4 day run of about as nice a weather pattern as we ever get. My buddy Dan Sterchi used to say " the sun's shining , the fish are running and life is easy "....well, that's close to the truth.  There's a small public access at Sport Lake just up from my house so the other day when it got up to a simmering hot 74 degree's I drove up to see what our people are up to. It was like a Walt Disney movie. Now mind you the ice has only been off that lake for a couple weeks now so the temp can't be any warmer than 45 or so I'd guess. These kids had it going on, how about those Alaskan tans eh ?.
So those kids are throwing a football back and forth from shore. There's a fishing skiff racing around pulling a water skier, the girls on the left of the next pic are throwing sticks out for their 3 dogs to retrieve and in the middle of it all.....a guy fishing. Patiently re adjusting his bobber when the dog would head for it or pulling in for another cast when the football would splash down. You can see him on the right of the launch. I wanted to go talk with this guy of great faith but I kinda figured he had his hands full. Hey buddy, c'mon down to Mile 14 and fish where it's quieter....if the G-men ever let ya.
On our walks you can tell as MP say's 'everybody's happy. She has the most wonderful way of applying human values on the birds, the bee's and even the flowers, which we call ' the kids'.  The Eagles at the river are getting some fish guts from the guys who dump it after being to the saltwater where they are allowed to catch and even kill early run Kenai River Kings. Even though the pic doesn' t do it justice the first fish guts of the year attracts a heck of a crowd.  And the guy building the nest is getting some work done....And, this morning we spotted our first new born of the year.
You know how I like lists so here's a quick one on what all I got done this weekend. It really was the kind of weekend I love, sunny with some chores to do, music playing, maybe a game on the TV in the garage....long evenings, here we go.

1. I built something over the gate to MP's garden for a vine to grow on, I think she calls it an 'arbor'

2. Game of Thrones....they ain't gonna like it when John Snow and his wolf go back up north.

3. Mariners drop 3 in a row....but hey, they're doing GREAT...

4. Fire up all summer tools. Lawnmower, weed eater , bluetooth speaker.

5. detailed the Subaru....I don't know where I got this but I just love washing and waxing the rigs with some good country music playing and a......cold beer....for me, it's the essence of summer.

6. Detailed the old White truck...that baby is pushing 20 years old and you have to admit that it's a pretty sweet rig. I bought it 10 years ago from Irv Carlisle who is legendary around here for being a 'car guy'. Shortly after I got it he asked hows it treating me. I told him it's costing me a fortune....every time I drive by a car wash it pulls in.  97.000 miles on it.
7. Two one hour guitar practice sessions. Sorry no song of the week but I have a new one almost ready.

8. Went to the movie to see Money Monster . George Clooney is great.

9. 2 hikes and one bike ride....my knee's are feeling much better.

10. Went to the local Sportsman Show....that show is dieing a slow agonizing death. I have to hand to our local G-men ( State Parks, Alaska Dept. Fish and Game ) if you've ever thought that although you can never get them on the phone at least you could get a question answered at the yearly Sportsman Show...well forget that, they're dodging it along with your phone calls now.

11. Cooked a perfect, and I mean perfect Rotisserie Chicken. I think I'll quit right there. I know it's kinda goosh to publish pictures of food....bet hey, I'm the same guy who published himself in a speedo eh ?
ya gotta have the pan to catch the drippings or you learn the hard way...a conflaguration, or a even really big fire .

No comments:

Post a Comment