Sunday, July 3, 2016

July is busy....

But not to busy for me MP to do what she does so well....create. Now at Mile 14 we have the first and I'd say only Riverside Free Little Library. There's a lot to love about this woman of mine and her direction when she wants something is impressive. I realized a long time ago that she'll not rest until she gets it done so I've learned that no matter what it is ya better just pitch in and roll with the flow. Here it is.
Now I'm not saying that's she's a.d.d. but I have to tell you,  This project started in the garage on one of my gear prep tables and then moved to the laundry room before it made it to the kitchen counter then onto the kitchen table and then back to the garage where we finished the nailing on my tool cabinets, 4-wheeler and a dairy crate. No Kiddin. The maestro at work.
And with the finished product.
And of course a message or two. She wants everybody to know that it's 100% recycled material...except the love that is...that's all original.
The other day we had a day off and we decided to walk the beach in Kenai one last time before the hoards of dip netters take over in a week. We do these walks rain or shine and as cruddy as it was at Mile 14 this morning it was flat miserable in Kenai.... I don't know how those people can live there. On a day like this when the sky, the water, the sand all look the same I flash back to my commercial fishing days. I know not everyday was like this but my memory says it was...miserable, lonely, barren, just a hostile environment....Alaska....
It actually put me in a bit of a funk , guess I got to remembering stuff. So when we came across the ball parks I was dry in the car and had a good laugh. I don't what the gulls were doing and especially wonder what they do to get rid of them at first pitch.... I know one thing, a guy with a camera walking amongst them didn't phase them a bit. They were there by the hundreds.
As we head for Dip Net season the signs are everywhere. We've kind of sold our town out over this mass fish production deal. We got campers camping on every free spot of terrain available. Boy howdy is that an Alaska experience or what ?
When you're expecting a total harvest of around 1/2 million sockeyes in the dip net fishery and maybe another 1/4 million in my thing....the sport fishery I guess you'd better have some boxes.
I'll keep a big old smile and we'll work through the rush here at Mile 14 like we always do, with grace and humor. I love to see new thing so when I see Europeans in rigs like this so excited to be traveling Alaska you have to welcome them to our town....what a cool rig.
Here's pic of my new neighbors yard. He's been down asking about the boat launch several times now and finally I see why.....he does have a lot of kids so, let's net. Wished I'd seen fishing poles.
So I hope everybody has a  fun but especially a safe dip net season. I've never done it and I intend to keep it that way so if you're fishing for a dip net charter you've got the wrong guide. All B.S. aside be careful. We've been very lucky as all this has grown and the fishery is ultra crowded so wear your PFD's and save the beer for later. This pic below was on Craigs List, a guide soliciting dip net charters. I don't know....5 people, you have assume the fish box is full as well, no PFD's and it just looks reckless if you ask me. In a severe boating manuever all those fish can shift and slide to one side and.....just be careful....and ask you guide to be as well if he ain't.



4 comments:

  1. Your blog is as amazing as always … I am a regular visitor of your blog due to its innovative and interesting content, they are helping me in my career a lot. Thanks for sharing this amazing information.
    Kenai River Fishing Guides

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool kenai cache....it is one of my fondest hopes that the guys who come behind can live this same unique lifestyle as me an mp

    ReplyDelete