Sunday, April 9, 2017

Early run King fishing...open

Yup. It's amazing to me at how good the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game is at telling you what you can't do and how terrible they are at telling you what you CAN do. Ya know when the ADF+G used there Ouiji Board management to close our Early run fishing 6 months before the first salmon would arrive they told us it was out of concern for people like us who need to plan a little around the fishery....well, over a month ago they were given a new regulation package by the Board of Fisheries which finally applies some common sense and fishing opportunity for us and they haven't formally announced a thing ,,,,notta. So if you guys are reading Mile 14 over there at common sense headquarters hows about a news release, getting our fishery back on track around here is big news and maybe the public would like to know.

But I trust that by wading through a combination of congo drums, reliable sources and plane old gossip I've got the straight poop. For the first time in a few years we'll start fishing anytime in May we want..... Yahooo! , I love those trips. It will be catch and release for any fish over 36 inches so that the new idea is to let the biggest and best spawners do their thing for the future. Then when the sonar counts suggest we have enough fish it will be opened to keep any fish you'd like and of course if the counts are horrible into mid June or so the fishery could go the other way until a new plan takes effect on July 1st which would open things again. Being able to keep a King salmon 36 inches or less is great and that's actually a pretty noble salmon that will weigh up to 25 pounds or so I figure. Here's a pic of a beauty I caught myself in May just a few years ago that looks like it would fit the new slot.....LETS GO FISHING .Notice the rivers low and clear. No boats. And that fish was tasty I'm here to tell you....
March was a loooooong month here at Mile 14, think I'll be fishing Mexico next time that month comes around. BUT, it's not spring yet but you can see it from here. It's been melting and seems like a pretty orderly ' break up ' this year. I took this pic of the river in Soldotna this morning on our walk. It's hard to believe that I expect a catch a salmon out of that thing in 4 or 5 weeks. It's really some of the magic of this place, It's a dynamic place and the seasonal changes when we hit a gain of 7 minutes of daylight per day are astounding, when the tree's 'green up ' you can almost see it in a day. When the ice goes out behind my house soon we have thousand of ducks, birds and Eagles....instantly. Wow.
To give you an idea of our lingering  snow pack I took a pic of our old house on ReDoubt Street. That Ponderosa Pine tree me and MPeasy planted 30 years ago is now taller than the light posts....and oh, the house now is a Psychiatric office.....mmmmmm.....
Well I really don't have much to report on . My Seattle Mariners are doing terrible and today gave up a 7 run lead to lose to the Angels in the 9th inning. The first week of the season left them with a 1-6 record which is the worst start in the league.  Oh, it's gonna be a another tough season I'm feeling. What I really wanted to do with this blog is to  just to let people know we're ready to go spring FISHING and that's  done so how's about a nice ' ya broke my heart again ' type of love song.  The I-phone is OK but I think a Go-Pro would make me sound better...or maybe not...............


No comments:

Post a Comment