Monday, April 17, 2017

Sea Gulls

I heard my first ones of the 2017 season just now here at Mile 14....that means just one thing, ice out is about to happen. It went out in Soldotna several days ago and works it's way down stream to us. I took this pic of Big Eddy corner from our over look just a few minutes ago and you can see, open water...finally.
It's one of the wonders of this place, I don't know where they've been all winter but instantly at ice out we have hundreds of Ducks and Gulls and yes, Eagles. Here's a pic any of you that follow this blog have seen many times. Its from the sand spit 1/2 way down the road to the Launch. The water is running a bit on the top of the ice but that hard water isn't long for the world. Last year was an anomaly as the river never froze but the two previous winters ice out at Mile 14 was on the same day, April 15th.
Friday night is always a big night for me and MPeasy. I played guitar and sang for a couple hours and then we had the best ever fish taco supper. As we always do we walked down to the Launch and check on the ol Kenai's progress and it was sunny and warm as we climbed up on a picnic table to sit....I hear MP let out a bit of gasp and she's in pain, real pain. Ever sense we starting walking a lot in Mazatlan she's had knee inflammation kind of come and go but Friday night she heard something snap so it could be a meniscus problem or even and ACL or maybe a Bakers Cyst behind her knee that ruptured. Today we did X-Rays and tomorrow she see's the knee Doc and we'll know. I don't mind telling you....I've never seen her like this and it bothers me, she's always been the tough one around these parts.
So Saturday we can't walk like we usually do and a she can't tend her garden starts like she loves to do and .....well, cabin fever sets in pretty fast so we decide to road trip over to Kenai and look for birds on the flats and have ice cream on the way.  It's still to early for all the Geese we get but there were a few ducks and these gorgeous Flamingo's....
The tides in the lower river lift and float and break up the ice as the spring progresses,  It's beautiful in a uniquely Kenai way. I got a great pic of Mt. ReDoubt and then a pic of what the ice flows look like at low tide. Ol slimey will be sticking his nose in there pretty darn soon.
One of the things that we appreciate when we return home from Mazatlan is the clean air that along with the clean water makes Alaska what it is......but not during break up. The cities and the State sand the roads so much that run off and the clean up is terrible and disgusting. Kudo's to the city of Soldotna for passing an ordinance finally to make contractors use water to kill the dust when they street sweep etc. I wonder about all this yukey melt water in the storm drains feeding the river but I suppose there's smarter people than me looking out for that, or maybe not. The next pic is a common sight, black snow from the Safeway parking lot full of treated sand and cigarette butts.....you see the problem eh ?
Friday night fish taco feed was exceptional. MP made the Avocado with heavy cream sauce that's soooo good. I broke out an excellent bottle of Tequila for a couple sips while I sang some of my songs I entertain with in Mexico and of course we had to have Pacifico....It made me laugh to see the coolest Mexican beer display, it just costs a bit more here, that's all....same thing but different. Salud to all of our friends in our second home , Mazatlan Sinaloa Mexico, Mile 5014....

3 comments:

  1. I tell you, nothing is more spectacular than to sit down by my pole shed and watch the Flamingo's heading north to their summer haunts in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd pick up on that....kinda funny , we were at WalMart the other day and now we know where they migrated from

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're doing well buddy. Yup, the knee deal is a tough one. I actually expected mine to go kitty wampass before hers. She had a cortizone shot and tomorrow the MRI will tell us whats next. Take best care Nate

    ReplyDelete