Thursday, February 28, 2019

It's a Cairn

Fishing is slow, real slow. But you know me, I'm up and out every morning before sun up and the other morning after it finally warmed up and I was sunning on the new rock jetty in front of Escondida that has the power tool engraved petroglyths on it I decided to add to the history and mystery of this place, ya know , like a song - send a message. Being an Arctic exploration history buff I know that in the day Mariners in peril or just needing or hoping to have someone come along and know where they were or were going and that this was where they'd been would build one of these on a prominent point so a passing boat would notice.... a cairn.
Typically after being iced in over the winter, marooned if you will,  a sea captain would build the cairn with a note underneath saying that they're O.K., they're holding up, they're headed north and hope to live, hope to make new discoveries...just like me I guess. So by now you're thinking that guy at the Mile 14 Southern Bureau is whackin out and at the very least has a magnum case of cabin fever...not true, I've just been kinda introspective, learning how to live in retirement and condo life, being alone...movin on, that's all....and if you wanna know what the note says you gotta come fishing the playa in Mazatlan Mexico, we'll look under some rocks...

The only fish I caught this week were all Toro's.... I ain't complaining but it's a little like catching Humpies. the cool thing is that you don't really know for sure what they are until you finally see him on the beach so it's easy to imagine a 5 pound snook and then ....toro....And I caught maybe 7 of them this week and ALL of them were on my new gizmo deal where I throw a 10 dollar castmaster with a 25 cent coho fly 2 ft. up the leader. There's just something wrong with that. I have a locker of high tech divers and floaters, suspenders and poppers and rangers and ...they bite a salmon fly......mmmm..

One sunset as I went in search of more Toro's I quit fishing because I could see hundreds of
Rays in the crest of the waves and just new it wouldn't be long before I snagged one. Most of them are a Skate looking critter but we also have ' Manta' types with the stinger on the tail. Sure enough as I headed home I ran into these kids with their fishing shirts on and wrestling with a Manta they had snagged...wrestling very unassuredly.  So I took the time to show them how to put your foot on that tail while you use the pliers so there is no way the end of the tail can get you, just like lesson 4 at Team X orientation...Well, they weren't having any party of touching that thing in any way without pliers being the only contact...It was pretty chuckly.
Carnaval this weekend so come on back now ya hear ???? I'll take many pictures.
😎🐟🐟🎡🎡🎸🎸

1 comment:

  1. Nice to teach the kids something they will use the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete