Thursday, May 23, 2019

Driving Ms. Daisy

Yup, that's my job. We're at the 4 week mark from MPeasy's total knee replacement and I've been gardening, cleaning , cooking ( we've both lost 3 pounds ) chauffeuring , pharmacy tech , morale booster and with a new twist the victim of her new passion for playing Gin Rummy. But, the end is in sight. We're over the walker and onto just a cane and I expect that she has cabin fever as bad as I do so real soon she'll be pain pill free and driving again....THAT will be a big day for retired guide # 003.
On  Sunday night I just couldn't take it any longer, I've NEVER gone this long in the spring without running the river. It wasn't even a nice evening, it was a bit rainy so I told MP I'd be gone an hour...I didn't even take a fishing rod, I just needed to breath the Kenai. The tide was pushing as I rounded Beaver Creek and I had counted just two boats on the river, one of which was the ADF+G .....mmmm.... so on the way back I stopped and chatted with the other boat. They're some young guys in a smaller riveted boat that I've watched from a distance for years. They fish so much that at one time I told MP they reminded me of myself in the 1970's. I should have got a pic but Mike who ran the boat turns out to be Spence DeVito's grand son and he's also married to guide Bill Neiderhauser's sister...just as I thought, this guy has Kenai green in his blood. I shoot a short video to give you an idea of what this place is like when it's quiet and the river is low, just like I like it.
I've been a little blog lazy I know...so....Here's  Pro Guide Tip # 77 ... I've sat through many a water haul in my life so I learned the hard way that to much focus on the fish and not the fishing can be stressful, real stressful. So the elixir for that is simple and one of my moto's ' The Joy is in the Pursuit'. Or as my friend Willy said a few months ago " today it was for the soul and not the stomach". So instead we enjoy it all, the small things, the ...yup, wildlife. So here's my ' I didn't catch any fish' pic of the week. It really is a special place here at Mile 14, I took this pic from Mp's greenhouse yesterday...Please hang in there with me and I 'll see you next week with sonar counts, fish pics and maybe a an ADF+G  critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment