Monday, June 10, 2019

Mon de lone

That's how you spell it phonetically . A few of my Mexican Team X members pegged that name for me years ago....' man who wears apron'. Yup, that's me lately. I've learned to make dirt for all the greenhouses, I'm mulched and mowed no less than 6 times now. I've roto tilled , I've planted veggies and arranged all the Dalia's just right for max viewing effect and I've declared war on dandelions. . In the house I'm the iceman, the machine gets filled every morning and at least every evening so the woman who lets me live here can try and keep the swelling down after her part of life at Mile 14. Standing is worse than walking for her so I do 90% of the dishes..... ( did I ever tell you that we don't have a dish washer because when we remodeled the kitchen a person I love very much wouldn't give up any cabinet space...I should have vetoed that deal ) and of course I'm still doing all the driving because of pain pills , especially on physical therapy day. Does it sound like I'm complaining ? mmmmm,,,,,O.K. you get the idea why this blog has gone from an action packed insiders look at Pro Guide # 003's life to a crumpled up copy of Readers Digest sitting next to the commode....

So with the earliest case of cabin fever ever reported in the State of Alaska I volunteered to work at the River Festival this last weekend...Manual labor, I hate that. We set up all the tents in about 3 hours and I have to report that being the oldest guy there I carried the standard for the geriatric division of River savers.
I was asked to show all the young people who intern for the Watershed Forum how to tie a few knots , especially a Bolen . So I got everyone together and gave them the ol ' rabbit goes up the hole around the tree and back down the hole'  deal and so I thought we had it and off we went to secure the tents for the safety or our River saving community....well, it didn't take long before the old ' if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot ' mentality took over.
I escaped from my job just long enough to wander over to the boardwalk above the world famous and a couple guys reminded me of what I ought to be doing, and will be doing. Our early run Sockeye's that are Russian River bound are going through our part of the creek as we speak. Traditionally this run doesn't get targeted in Soldotna because it's smaller so they're hard to catch and we usually have King salmon. Well a lot has changed and I'm very impressed with the success anglers are having by adapting to and trying new fisheries, As I type this we have some campers down the hill at the boat launch and they have several Red's on the stringer .
The catch and release fishing on the World Famous is turning out to be a bit more unpopular than I expected...but what do I know. I guess it's a little like kissing your sister, a little is O.K. but a lot is kinda weird. We fished Eagle Rock hard the other day without anybody in sight...or any fish for that matter. But still, who wouldn't enjoy spending time right here, right now ?
This guy here was thinking hard about crossing . We encouraged him but he finally decided he didn't need to, It's my weekly ' we didn't catch a fish ' photo.
As the month moves on I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe ADF+G is going to keep the status quo and allow the very few people who are enjoying the C+R experience to continue. We're about 400 fish ahead of last year which was closed to ALL fishing until July 1st. I expect we WILL meet the lower number of escapement ( 3700 ) and as soon as the water clears from all the warm weather we've had I'M GOING  FISHING !  Here's the graph, we're the black line compared to the last few years,



No comments:

Post a Comment