Thursday, July 18, 2019

Ed McMahan

I told somebody this morning my new job at Mile 14 is being Ed McMahan, you know the ' set up ' guy. As MP checks the people in and I help park them for their guided trips with the 20 or so guides that use our place the first people they see are me and her. So they ask about the fishing and I smile and tell them....it's all cooking off right now... and it is.

What a life ! I still get up at 3:30 every morning but instead of doing guide prep I went fishing this morning so tonight we'll have the very first fresh salmon on the grill....about time. AND, these three sockeye were the first ever fish I've caught on a fly rod, learning new things don't ya know.
I caught them in about 1/2 hour. It was sooooo nice. Semi dark with an almost full moon looking at me just like it does every morning in Mazatlan. It was warm and I was completely alone with the river right here on my own property, I like that. MP is canning and I'm off to the store, got have some good Chardonay ya know for that fresh pescado. Look how vibrantly red they are.
I didn't know if I'd like hanging around the launch but it's surprised me how much fun I'm having. MP stays up the hill at the gate and separates the folks from their money and then I point, cajole and encourage them to park geometrically so we can get as many cars in as possible...here's a job well done.
The folks are always excited and so they should be, I kinda get them pumped up and help them find the guide they're scheduled with...this shot will give you an idea of how the boarding / boat process works here at Mile on the world famous.
For 37 years I was usually off the beach first and to tell you the truth never really got to see how it all works or for that matter to  even really get to know the guides. So, I realize now that the future of this ultra cool  industry we all built in the 70's and 80's is going to be just fine...we have some really energized and interesting guides who are REALLY good at their jobs.
That guy is Cory and he has an easy manner that is perfect for the job, people instantly like this guy and never mind that he's fishy , fishy . fishy... When I used my Ed McMahan analogy on him he gave me a strange look like he either thought  it wasn't funny or just weird...well on further review MPeasy and me decided he didn't know who Ed McMahan was.
Jarrad there is Cory's partner and he is usually the last guy to launch in the morning...he's never in a hurry or anxious and I must confess it took me the first 30 years to get over the urge to be first everywhere all the time... He's a guy who shared a new technique with me last year that I was sooo impressed with.
Damond is probably the only guide at the launch that knows more knots than I do. I've always said that when you look at a lot of guides you have your 'name on the shirt ' kinda guys, you know the guy who likes being a guide better than he likes guiding... well Damond ain't that guy, he LOVES guiding. Damon recently lost his wife in a horrible unexpected health problem and I tell you I have a hard time looking him in the eye... I can't imagine my life that way...but he's a strong christian man and I wish comfort for him every day.
Like Reggie Jackson, Tyland there is the straw that stirs the drink around here. He's out going , he's opinionated, he's involved with all things Kenai ... and he's a gold miner. I knew Tyland when he broke in with a 16 ft driftboat and was the ' Swifter Drifter ' and now he's setting on a fishing empire  with cabins, processing, gold excursions...well played buddy. Did I say he also ain't afraid of any project and especially the work that goes with it.
Running that boat is Dan.... I would guess he is the most grizzled of the guides  having the most seasons under his belt. When he arrived on the scene He was working at Pay and Save then guiding at the same time. It was before the internet and it drove me nuts to see his brochures out fishing for customers where I couldn't. But as the years went on I softened and he hardened and we're friends, I guess that's the way it works. He IS  in Kenai jargon the best ' plug man ' on the world famous. Period.

I even had a a customer show me a good trick. You can tell by the idea and the manufacturing as well as the poilished floor that he's an engineer. But what a great idea to  have your gear go in and out of the boat at once, a really cool caddie.
All of you that know me know that I'm a little queer for boats.... I just like em, the lines the function, the materials and of course where they get ya.  So as this sockeye / king season moves on I'll be keeping an eye out. But this one caught my eye on our walk a couple days ago, what a beauty , now if you just had a 55 two door to tow it with.....oh, it's aluminum.

3 comments:

  1. I suppose now I will be seeing you with a Fly Rod in Mazatlan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orvis guy now... And I'm thinking about being a cowboy again for awhile

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just in Montana yesterday. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete