Monday, November 30, 2020

Pay Off

I know , I know, that was a long two weeks between posts. It's just that I'm settling in and there's not been much to write about...we'll be on the road soon and all that will change. But the good news was that after all the emotion and adjustment it's taken for ol  # 003 to change his life now it's starting to make sense. Sam and Haily drove over for a few days and it was sooooo good to see him. We played music and hiked and well, it was just wonderful and now we all see how easy it is to get together, if everybody is in the lower 48 of course. Of course with the covid crisis we weren't able to dine out or hot spa like we would but the visit was wonderful....Thanks Sam and Haily for the effort.

We had a good laugh on our River walk hike. Sam noticed the signs warning people about the moose, they seem to think that these animals are as dangerous as they are rare around here as compared to deer which are everywhere. Hardly a hike goes by without someone who has spotted one warns you....well, growing up at Mile on the World Famous Sam has had as many Moose encounters as we have so if there's any ' moose encounter experts' around here it's us.
I tell folks here what we all know. It's the spring of the year when they have calves that is the most dangerous and if you see them lay their ears back like MP and I had happen when we found ourselves between a cow and a calf on the river last year there's only one thing to do....run like hell and get a tree or something between you. But if the moose are well fed and without nursing calves, no worries, admire them and don't be scaredy chicken.
We see them here routinely and they are certainly different than those in the frozen north. For one thing they have lots of habitat and seem to stay along the river although we have had them in our yard like back home. Being a guy who's hit 3 of them with a pick truck I'm glad to report that we've yet to see one cross the road. The pic below is something I've never seen before, a moose with two calves from different years. In Alaska you always see mom give the yearling the boot when she calves in May but here they just all hang out together. Here's 3 generations all together, strange !
One of the reasons I came to Montana is that I want to work on my music and be around a bigger musical community and maybe find a venue to howl. Well I've been working hard on my sound but because of the virus the only musicians I'm meeting are the ones who left the music behind for the rest of us. One of my all time favorites right here in what we're calling ' Hammy' .....' alimony, alimony, you married men might think it's funny, till one fine day you wake and find you're paying for your mistakes... every friday when I get my pay...I put it in an envelope and mail it away...same old song with a little more  blues in it... I'm paying for it while someone else is usssssing it !
When I was a kid there was a ' one man band ' guy who we'd run into everywhere in Helena named Lee Goodspeed. Lee had Miguivered his guitar and had a cymbal that works when he nodded his head and even a keyboard sound when tapping his foot. He was utlra talented and you couldn't help to smile to see and hear him, through the years I've told many a person about Lee's magical sound and.....when I went to Piccolo's Music Store to get a light for my music stand there he was, his custom Strat and the Story. The owner was his friend and searched out the Strat, we had a nice visit and I left feeling connected.

I always thought a  Used Cow  was a hamburger.  But here in Montana they have a special parking garage or something for them that I haven't quite figured out. So if any of you know just what the heck this is all about how's about letting me know in the comments below....I need to be able to speak the language ya know. 
Here's a short list of a  few things I learned that I didn't know about moving.

1. Boxes stack, rubbermaid totes don't.

2. Don't move old stuff, there's old stuff everywhere.

3. Don't put something in the 'kitchen' box from somewhere else just because it fits. You'll never find it.

4. Hard things in life take time. You'll get used to it and feel better.

5. It's good for your marriage.

6. You'll lose 15 pounds

7. You'll gain 15 pounds

8. Happiness  ain't a location.

9. A 9 weight fly rod is huge.

10. The world is a big place.

Thanks for reading. I really do enjoy writing so I'll carry on , especially when we find new things. Thanks for reading, I'll do at the very least every two weeks....

No comments:

Post a Comment