Thursday, February 3, 2022

About Snook

 Well  they're my favorite surf fish opponent. They fight well and will jump but my favorite thing is when they come up shaking  their heads when hooked, it's sooooo cool. It took me years to catch my first real nice one but lately there seems to either more of them or I finally learned how to catch them. They're interesting fish. They are hermaphrodite in that they all start out as males and turn into females at around 10 to 12 pounds , there are 6 verity's with the White Snook being the one we see the most. Like salmon they are anadromous , meaning they go into fresh water to spawn although some spawn in the open seas. They also think that because they are more prolific on the Caribbean side that they are extending their range. relying on warm water which seems to be everywhere in this day and age. Here's a pic of one I caught yesterday.

They love the Mangrove swamps and lucky for us the El Cid golf/ harbor / residence development used to be a pristine saltwater estuary and I always wondered how much of the original is still there . So I talk Jack into going up in his Boston Whaler which is about the cutest damn boat I 've ever seen....you know I'm kinda queer for boats. Well Jack and I found out there's a  lot of undisturbed mangrove wetlands and there's lots of fish to go with them....so cool....here' two shots to give you an idea. On one hand we could be out in backcountry and then go around the corner and you see the condo's.  We never saw another boat on our two trips.

Jack grew up in Mazatlan and he's about the first real waterman I've ever met and oddly enough he hasn't caught fish with a rod and reel, only a spear gun. So I got a big kick out of it after he landed this snook he told me " ya know Jeff , that's the first fish I've ever caught when I wasn't wet and cold ". So we're working on Jack to find the allure of sportfishing and we slide into the golden years together. He was trolling a nice deep diving plug when the rod went off and he grabbed the rod and reeled for a couple seconds then lifted this fish into the boat....poor snook never had a chance. 



I guess I've taken a few things for granted in the last few years so missing Mazatlan last year kind of rekindled my appreciation. Our garden suite is far from the nicest unit in the building and our privacy ain't what our neighbors have but I took this pic last night as I barbecued burgers and you gotta admit...that ain't a bad view...and while we were gone the city built us a brand new bike path from our place to Cerritos point 3 miles away. The lighting and all is fantastic and we're riding more because it's finally safe....thank you Mazatlan.


Now that I'm healthy I'm not missing another sunrise. This morning I was out of bed at 4:40 and then on the bus at 6:00. I met the guys at the spot and beat a couple but Tim and Tom beat me . It wanted to rain which is unusual and when this developed I put my new camera to use and it turned out pretty good. The Lumix shockproof / waterproof isn't really made for perfect shots nut I liked this real good...it really is why we do what we do.


And in the change is good category....here's a pic of us saying good bye to  our friend Gilberto who has run the water taxi ever since we started here in 2004 . He is retiring after an awesome career. He runs the boat like it was part of his body which is saying a lot as the boat is pontooned, under powered and catches a lot of wind along with tide. I tell people all the time that it's the hardest boat to run in the harbor and Gilberto does it with good cheer, so easily. I gave him a fishing rod and reel for retirement and I hope we get to fish together....we love this man, well played Gilberto.

See ya'all again soon....
 

1 comment:

  1. A guy with a boat that wants to catch fish on a rod and reel. Uffda!

    ReplyDelete