Thursday, May 4, 2023

April showers bring more showers

 Or so it seems around here.  As I type this thunderheads are building over the mountains and more snow / rain / is on the way.  Kinda slowed down the adventurous life here at Mile 14 and not much to write about until now...I was at the lake this morning at sun up like I like to do . Had my hearing aids in and it's one thing they really do for me, in a quiet setting I can hear the birds and the splashes of the fish and well, it's just great. I felt good. It might not be a 35 pound early May Kenai King but for me, right now this fish was great, my first of the new season..

I'm pretty sure that the one that bit the tail off my swimfish was bigger...guess it had to be. But we're off and it's a start . I'll be on the big water in the next few days and after spending the winter in Walleye school I'm confident we're gonna be eating Walleyes. A strange local fishing report landed in my text messages yesterday. Keith in Alaska sent pics from a friend who had many nice Walleyes on Lake Helena just yesterday, he even included a pic of the lure. Thank you Grasshopper !  But. it puts me in a predicament , Lake Helena is farm field fed and so full of chemicals that there are warning signs about the bloom and harmful effects.....never mind that the water is so thick that I see it clogging the cooling system on the beautiful Merc outboard I just bought.   So, I gotta give Lake Helena a pass, it's just too strange and new to me, we'll fish the Walleyes where the waters clean . Here's the view this morning from the lake. I saw two different Osprey dive and catch a Bass like the one I caught and I spooked a big ol Blue Heron into the air, or did he spook me ?
And how about this sunrise from the house. It's what made me the morning person that I am.
We fell in love with this house at first sight. It had it all, corner lot, privacy , upper west side , no stairs, expansive views...but we kinda glossed over that it had only one large garage and no place for my truck and boat. so after a year of massaging all the options and out of  concern from all these thunder storms with hail etc. I ordered and built a carport for the old white truck I love. MP and I hauled in gravel and leveled the pad. ( she shovels just like a guy ) 
Then we built the frame and took a few days off to get over those sore muscles. Then we set up scaffolding and the hardest day of all was moving the scaffold and driving several hundred self tapers into the roofing. And we ended up with this, problem solved.

So with the chores, well some of them , we're ready for summer. Hope you come back to Mile 14. We're gonna do a cash recovery trip to Jackpot Nevada real soon. Catch enough Walleyes by June first to have that fish feed I promised and who know....adventure.....How's about a song ?  I used to sing this for all the little kids we love 35 years ago or so and it was a favorite . I was going to facebook it for them and forgot so.....I guess it's little apropos, a song about aging, moving on, changes.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment