Monday, April 29, 2024

20 years ago.... my first fish story

And what makes this a fish story ? I guess it's because they all are really. You see we fish for new experiences, new friends, new tastes and new stories....new fish, new weather and the same sunsets and sun ups but through a new view, a fresh view.

It was all sooooo new to us, we were just starting our love affair with Mazatlan . I'm sure everyone knows that feeling when you first fall , it's all so new and so exciting and you can't believe that you're really there or that she really loves you and .....it's magic . These guys listening while I poach a free beer or so are still friends today. Danny " the Hatman " Lizzaraga who invited us to our first Mexican wedding where his uncle unsuccessfully tried to out drink me . Jimmy Mendoza who had us to his Casa where his wife Maria started our fixation with real Mexican Chili Relanos . Jimmy has passed but now 20 years later his son Juan is my fishing / guitar / genuine friend. Jimmy showed us so much . Then there's Mike who I don't see as much but his brother Mario and I have stayed together . And Allan there was the Mayan Palace guy who took care of us....

It was spring break for both our guys in college Sam came from Northern Arizona and Max came from U of A, Alaska .  It rained one day and we all ended up in the pool hall waiting for the sun to return . As I commented to Sam about his 8-ball skills I had to ask the obvious question " you are going to class aren't you " ?  The four of us had a wonderful week , we called a cab and got them both on the way to the airport and me and MP went shopping to get the makings of a celebration. Getting back to the Mayan Palace with a couple steaks and a bottle of Chardonnay we run into Sam.....yikes,' what are you doing here ' ? Well we had all put our passports in a pile and he ended up with the wrong one. It was a bittersweet ,  we got another day with Sam but the steaks had to wait.  There's my crew on rocks on the rocks of Playa Olas Altas.
This was the era in my life where I was winging just about everything. Why  buy expensive tackle and gear when I had tons of it in Alaska, surely I had things in the garage that would catch these new fish. I met Daniel the lifeguard and we were immediate friends. Now Daniel and I also shared a common trait, neither of us had one single iota of the other persons language. I had a little battery powered translator that didn't survive my 1st swim in the ocean so me and Danny used sign language and laughing to get things done. He showed me how to wiggle your feet at the surf zone to feel for the little cochita's  (sand crabs ) that make excellent bait. He showed me that if you can't feel for them so well all you really have to do is watch the shore birds who pluck at them as the surf raises and falls right at the water. Danny took me to the rocks and showed me how to chisel off the oysters with a rock and butter knife and now 20 years later I'm a pretty good water man, maybe an expert.
So there I am with my first ever Mazatlan fish. All my Mazatlateco friends will notice the view north from the Mayan there, looking to Playa Bruja. The only big building on the beach is the one you see, Quintas Del Mar. If that pic were taken today, my goodness, maybe 15 high risers would be in view including the sprawling Riu property that Jimmy Buffet would characterize like this ' it's ugly and square , it don't belong there ' . 
So I'm fishing with sand crab bait with the rod in the holder when I see a disturbance in the water that was new to me. I had a trout sized green Krocidile on a Kenai Special and a casting reel which I wound up and got out maybe 25 ft.....Bang, instantly I've got him on and I'm astonished by the power . I told people on the Kenai that if you tied that fish to a Silver Salmon he'd pull it backwards. I was pumped. Daniel showed me how to bleed him and how to fillet my first Tuna. Yup, I had decided he was a Tuna family and when the four us sat down for our first fresh Mexican pescado we all admitted it was the best darn Tuna we'd ever eaten . Allan asked about the carcass and the Mayan staff used it for soup base. 

So on that Spring fishing trip 20 years ago I caught lotsa new stuff here's a list .

1. My first digital pics. I had bought my Minolta at Costco for a pretty good chunk of lettuce. I use the camera to this day and have taken thousands of pics with it . I learned how to succeed as a good photographer with no talent . ' If you can't take a good shot, take a lot of shots '

2. My first ' Cubrito ' hangover . Cubrito's are what they call the small 7 ounce Pacifico bottles. At Danny's daughters wedding they had Dozens of cases and it was sooooo festive. Danny's uncle would come to me and lock elbows as we'd both chug a Cubrito . He was a small guy and after a half dozen or so he got tired and took a nap.

3. New Stars...It's funny , you might not think you know the night sky but you do , you've lived with it your entire life. Me and MP would lie on the beach, it was so dark....the Dippers were way to the north. The north star was about midship and the  Southern Cross was new to us.  We'd hold hands with wonder.

4. Our first real Chili Relanos. Jimmy Mendoza's wife Maria is known for them. It was a hot evening on a dusty road and she grilled as we ate and.....oh baby they were good....and spicy ! I was puddling ! But like a good gringo should I was determined to eat all she gave me . The next time we had the Chili Relanos Maria fried them in a hub cap on the beach for us.  Love those guys .

5. My first Busking....although I've played music since I got my first guitar in 7th grade I never really considered myself a musician until about this era. Mazatlan made me a musician. The culture is so musical the locals welcome all and hold a special place for good ol American Rock and Roll.  I used to say ' I ain't good but I am loud "......now I say ' I'm good and loud " .

6. My first  first Class....My buddy  Chris was doing tons of flying in the day and would treat us to First Class upgrades with Alaska Airlines and yup, it's a better way to go. I even played music for the airplane one time...so thank's Chris, from you I learned the way .

7. My first Tuna....mmmmm.....well,,,a...

8. So there's a few firsts. If I could do it all again I'd do everything exactly the same....except sooner.
How's about one last first ? The first song I ever recorded on my U Tube station , hope it doesn't make your dog bark.



No comments:

Post a Comment