Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Overlook

Well I've had a little writers block. Its that in between season and not much has been happening here at Mile 14. But today MP and I went to the annual Home Show and came back to a wonderfully warm spring evening....perfect for a cocktail at our favorite part of the property, the OverLook.

Mile 14 has many wonderful features and topography. We have a shaded gully next to the river bluff with old mossy trees that I call the 'Black Forrest'. We have a road I pushed in a few years ago with a couple camping spots on it that I call 'Lovers Lane' after trying to get MP to go parking one night. We have what I think is the best camp spot on the Kenai overlooking the river, we call it 'Mints spot' and our friend Mint left Alaska 10 years ago. And in our basement we have a toilet that just sits in the middle of the room, no partitions, nothing. It reminds me of a shower my uncle Mac and aunt Eileen had in their house in Omaha when I was kid..... But my favorite part is right below my house where we sit just to watch the river go by.
This pic is of the view upriver. The OverLook points to the south and west so tonight the sun made a good pic of the mountains impossible. But it gives you and idea that this is the perfect place for hitting golf balls or shooting the high tech potato gun that my friend Wally Brown built me. But none of that tonight. We just listened to the river and chatted quietly about the series of Stieg Larson novels that we're so enjoying. ( if you haven't read this you need to) We talk about how this author made such a success and then dies before he realizes it. How a room mate of his from college said he couldn't have been the author because he didn't seem that bright. We just talk and enjoy this special night at Mile 14.........

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a real nice day you had by the River! I'm ready for the words where you discuss the first fish coming out of the Kenai! Love your blog Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nate...that first fish post is still some time off I'd say. We're not even to the 'reasonable rumor' season yet. But I'm on top of it buddy.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,

    You make it feel as though I am the one that took your picture. Admittedly I am also waiting for those King Katches!

    ReplyDelete