Saturday, April 3, 2010

Please Read This

Today was a big day at Mile 14, the ice went out. MP and I went to the gym where I broke a hard saturday morning Chardonnay laced sweat, it was about 8.00 and the river was still frozen. We got home an hour later and we could here seagulls. No mystery here...the ice is OUT! I've been through 12 of these break-ups here at mile 14 now and its absolutely amazing...the birds must be waiting more than me. Instantly theres not 1 or 2 but literally hundreds and hundreds of ducks and seagulls. Where were they,how'd they know, who was first? I don't know any of those answers but I do know that in one hour we went from a quiet frozen landscape to a wonderfully loud introduction to spring. Thats Alaska. We have mostly Mergansers and Golden Eyes I think, they make a whistling sound as they cruise the river. So Jet-Dog had a big day, it seemed like both MP and I were driven to the launch to watch and listen and Jet got way more than her usual couple of walks a day. The pic at the top is from what we call the bench which is right below our house on the bluff exactly 82 feet above the river. The next pic is from the launch itself, I tried to get a bunch of ducks but they got hinky and flew so this is what we ended up with. So Marci....we're heading in the right direction here. Its like this,,,# 1 melt the shore ice from around the launch #2 back the boat trailer in until the tail pipe is fartin water #3 gingerly navigate down through the islands and at 9:17 a.m. on May 18th of the year 2010....its fish onnnnn.....wanna bet?

Now I know the river breaking up is big news, big news. But this last week our area also had the grand opening of the long anticipated Wal-Mart Store. Its Huuuuuge. A mega-store or whatever the people in that industry call them. You all know the story....big guy...vrs... small guy. " It anchors our town", "300 jobs".....Well all I know is that they have the very very very first holographic Qwikfish Lures I've ever seen. And that makes em alright by me.

6 comments:

  1. ....#4 hook the world record and rift to salt water so we can put it in the boat !

    OMG I am so excited !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how early is this from the norm? Here in Minnesota the ice out schedules are 2 - 3 weeks ahead of schedule. All the tree buds are swollen and if it keeps up a cold end of April could be devastating. Good news is the nightcrawlers will be out by the end of the week. Fishing opener is May 15th this year, as late as it can legally be. Opener could be interesting this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I mean drift to salt water

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool!! We've got the beginnings of buds on our trees - 5 weeks early. How does the flood situation look?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year the ice out was a little early I'd say Dave. Last year it was April 15th. In any case its amazing to think in 5 weeks we'll be out on it. It seems to be an orderly break up and the snow pack in the high country is just average so it all ahould go easily.

    This morning a huge ice sheet floated down with 4 Eagles on it and a big red sploach in the middle....so minus one duck from yesterdays estimate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only 67 more days until my first King trip with guide #3 on his boat and #1 in a Good time.

    ReplyDelete