Sunday, October 3, 2010

Breaking Camp

When it comes to fishing on the Kenai River I'm like a bad house guest, the first to arrive and the last to leave. But I've never been to a party that didn't end so finally this weekend it was time to put the boat away, another season wrapped. Nate and I had talked about doing one last trip on Saturday but it was just way to in climate, raining and blowing at 25 or so. In fact its rained so much you can see on the USGS measuring device that the rivers jumped up several feet and is the color of a strong latte. So Saturday it was time to start putting things to bed. We did take time to help out at the Friends of the Library picnic. MP's on the Board and helping push the drive for a library expansion. Here's a pic of her cooking hot dogs with our mayor. Our friend Dick Hahn was instrumental in getting this effort going before he and Loretta moved to the 48 and I think he'd be happy to know I'd give the bond question a 3 to 1 chance in Tuesdays election. Thanks Hahny.

So today the three of us got busy. MP harvested all the last of her veggies and put the green house away and then went after the leaves with a vengeance. I spent 3 hours winterizing the boat. The Minnow IV is my bread and butter so theres no shortcuts when it comes to taking care of her. First I fill the tank all the way to the top and add my fuel conditioner. Then I run it in the river long enough to make sure that's its worked into the engine and all the fuel lines. Then its back up the hill to flush the cooling system with sweet water and change oil and lower unit fluid. I grease all the zerts and put all the gear away. Then I tow it back down to the upper launch and park it in a stern down attitude, the road will snow in soon and she'll be safe and secure until next May when we'll just do it all again. Duck soup. All the time I'm doing this Jet-Dog's job is watching the truck and following me of course. She loves that truck.

The next pic I had to print big, its gorgeous if you ask me. MP says she specializes in Miniature veggies, kind of like how some people are into HO scale trains I guess.
As you know, I have probably the only palm tree on the Kenai River as part of my fish cleaning station by the house. As we were working we spotted this hole and its apparent something is living in our Palm Tree. I couldn't be happier and kind of surprised that MP didn't know what it could be. She says maybe a nuthatcher bird, maybe a squirrel, maybe a woodpecker, who knows? If any of you know just what kind of critter would inhabit a dead Palm tree give me a holler, I need to know.

Getting done with a season is always a bitter-sweet deal. Its like graduating from high school in that you feel free but in a day or so you ask yourself "what now"? Like most of America we're not doing as good as we used to but we made it and will get along just fine for another year. I'm learning not to take anything for granted, we had a great year, laughed alot, worked alot, slept a little and loved each other and our lives. Thank all of you for being a part of Mile 14 in the year 2010......

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe you're on the Minnow IV. I still remember the original! Glad to know ya'll had another good season of fishing & veggies. We're prepping for winter here; just blogged about Bob and his love affair with his chainsaw. Winter is coming, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good time in Mexico. We sure enjoyed fishing with you this year and looking forward to next year. And looking forward to your winter posts. I am upset with you and MP. Thanks to my hubby YOU TOOK MY HOUSE SITTER. Joel will be a good one you owe me Ha

    ReplyDelete