Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Whole 105 Yards

Well you know its the in between season and you're on the verge of serious cabin fever when you find yourself at the High School football field casting your surf rod. But that's what I did this last week as I wanted to accurately measure and not just guess at how far I can chuck the 3 ounce Ranger Lure.
I have a new surf reel that's special made for long casting. The reel had a long and tapered spool that makes for less friction and keeps the line closer to the a 'full' look. It also has a manual bail so you avoid the mid-flight bail closure that can cost you and it has an anti reverse that prevents the spool from trying to creep backwards as is the case with some cheaper reels. So I spooled the reel up with about 100 yards of backing then a 300 yard spool of 40 pound Power Pro to get the line to within an 1/8 inch of the spool lip. That is one of the advantages of the braided line and helps with distance, with mono filament this would be seriously over filled and give you lots of headaches. In this picture you can also clearly see the BreakAway Canon that I think is one of the big keys to long distance casting. I then take the hook off my 3 ounce Ranger and tie it to 4 feet of 40 pound mono for a shock leader, this stretch helps with the distance too. My rod is a durable 15 foot Cabelas Whuppin Stick surf Rod.

The football was field was frosty and they had a 'field closed' sign on it so I stood next to the field and chucked a practice cast onto the soccer field next door. Gorgeous sight, the plug arched away and burrowed into the turf like a lawn dart....I had to go retrieve it. So, no more practice, the next one I'm aiming for the goalpost 110 yards away. I let line out of the reel until I have it hanging at my hands, maybe 12 or 14 feet and hook the line into the Canon. I then swing behind me and let the plug pendulum until its toward me and just a bit slack, a big step forward and a nice side armed start to the cast that ends totally overhead. ( you get speed from the side hand but it has to go overhead for accuracy)....I don't mind telling you , it even impressed me, the plug arcs high and long and maybe a full 3 seconds later lands half way through the End Zone. 105 yards, 315 feet....

So now I know. In Mazatlan we're always guessing as to how far it actually goes. I figure with a little warm up and ideal conditions I can hit 130 yards. My friend Slahs' technique is better and he routinely hits 150 yards I'd guess.....So now I got the itch, I just need the scratch, fishing the beach and not the Football field.

My fish/people counter tells me that 10,000 times people have come to my blog now. I'm simply tickled with the response. So for my part I promise to continue making this fun no matter how tempted I am to blog about Tuesdays election. And of course I learned my lesson, I'll never post another pic of me in a speedo...what the hell was I thinking. I hope you guys all continue to comeback and read the news from Mile 14...Get out and vote, here's a pic in that spirit. I found the flag in the River and will dispose of it respectfully and properly.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! 130 yards thats big, your gonna kill em in mazatlan this year!!

    Colt

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure hoping to Colt...That distance is impressive and to watch it is really cool. But, the long cast record is upwards of 850 feet. In England its a big sport with different classes etc. The guys that throw the very farthest use specially tuned casting reels if you can imagine. I'll bet they had a few monster back lashes while learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I was happy to read your use of the "Cabelas Whuppin' Stik" rod. I've not used the surf casting rod yet (why would I, I don't have any where to surf cast) but from the first days this rod was released I have always spoke highly of them. I bought my first one when they were initially released by Cabelas for $9.99 years ago and recently purchased one each for my three boys. I also picked up a couple for dad and two more for myself. They are as good as any ugly stik I've ever used plus I love the bright blue color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that right Nate, they're durable as can be. Thats one of the reasons I have it over a more expensive rod, theres no replacing it once I'm in Mazatlan.....How'd the Vegas trip go? Hit anything? Garth Brooks?...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vegas was great Jeff. Garth Brooks put on a great show, him and his tool and a stool. He covered a variety of songs from his history of growing up as well as a number of his own. I taught Pops how to play and WIN at 3 card poker. Nothing significant but enough that I was out about 29 dollars after the trip was over. Had a good run for about an hour at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats impressive, anytime you get home with the same $$$$ you left with its a bigtime winner.
    My problem is that when I win I just spend more, instead of hitting the $9.95 buffet we end up at Emirel's...

    ReplyDelete