Friday, October 22, 2010

Bearly Making It


One of the reasons I started writing this blog was because it was pointed out to me that life here at Mile 14 is , well, different than other places. So I guess this pic of MP on her first day back tells the story. I don't know but I don't think most people walk the dog armed every time, and around here lately you'd be nuts if you didn't. Its getting old, the bears are everywhere. The next pic was the scene this morning. A big browny woke me up at 4:30 and once again was hard to chase off. He was either a lone bear or I expect maybe the surviving member of the duo that's been around all summer. In any case he dragged a bag of trash half way down the road and destroyed a couple of garbage cans. I guess the options are these....I can invest in the expensive bear proof cans. I can snuff the bear. I can put all the garbage in the house. I don't think I'll do any of those three. MP's solution is way more creative...keep the garbage in the back of my truck. What?...So my truck can look like these garbage cans? And smell like them too? I don't think so. But she did have a fall back plan that we're trying, dilute the area with the smell of ammonia and things bears might not like. We now have bear paths that are almost Timothy Treadwellian if anybody remembers him. They seem to use the same routes to and from the river and like to pile salmon carcasses about 500 feet inland right by what we call Lovers Lane. My friend Mike Dinkle who is a real outdoors man around here tells me that this bear or bears could stay all winter. Well, ole mister bar ain't gonna bother me a bit in sunny Mexico. And yes, I feel safer there than I do here right now.

I have a new camera. Its a Panasonic Lumix and I couldn't be happier. After doing my research (this time) I knew to buy it or a Cannon. So I'm taking lots of pics and came across this Sea-Eagle. In most parts of the world seagulls just fly and swim as they have web feet, but here on the Kenai we have these high bred's that clutch trees and perch, waiting for prey just like their larger cousin the Real-Eagle. Pretty cool eh?

This last pic I'm printing big as the light and everything was just so wonderful when I walked Jet-Dog the other evening. When its just right like this it reflects off the water and the clouds and mountains all at the same time, just like with Mazatlan sunset pictures I can't keep from snapping more. Guess its appreciation.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting as I have had this conversation with Ken Marlow on the amount of bears in the Sterling, Soldotna, Kenai area, being vastly underestimated. I suggest you throw a little Lutefisk in the trash cans, that should end your bear problem!

    Regarding your camera, they are great. Which model, as I was looking at Panasonic or a Canon S90. Ended up with the Canon however the Lumix is a highly rated camera. Check out www.imaging-resource.com for an excellent source for camera reviews.

    Did my last day on Mille Lacs, must have caught 200 - 300 perch fron 2:00 - 6:00. It was Perchapalooza!(my next post title)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're filleting perch today? I remember as a kid in Montana catching perch and pulling those little fillets off that were the best eating of all the fish.

    I wanted a small camera, its the Lumix FH20. But your Canon is a great camera. I really didn't need to many options as I just point and shoot and the Lumix has what they call ' intelligent automatic'...thats for me.

    It looks like I'm going to hit 10,000 reads soon so thats pretty cool. As part of the celebration I promise to never publish a pic of me in a speedo ever again. Honest.

    ReplyDelete