Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Follow me...Its a camera Safari

That first pic I figured is a good way to start, after all this blog entry is about me and the unusual things I notice, Its actually the sign by which my fishing friends find me here at mile 14 and seeings how we have about 20 guides that use the property I needed a way to be found...well there it is, an upside down - dead fish.

But before we go wandering I have some business to take care of. I told my friend and fishing team mate Jason that I'd cruise the area and report with pictures on the current conditions here at Mile 14. I think one pic will suffice. So Jay, make sure you notice off to the left is the rear view mirror of that trusty 91 Honda Civic that I'm giving you to drive when you land in Alaska, it should be thawed out by then.
This next pic is a kind of 'budget cabana' me and the Mpeasy came across one day. I'd been aimlessly wandering the beach and wondering if I could live off my social security here in Mexico one day when this helped me with the answer. Yes... its do able. It helped direct my thoughts away from the 1/2 million dollar home in the gated community and got me going towards nice clean project house in Centro Mazatlan...then I just walk to the beach and have my own cabana, simple I'd say.
The next pic I staged one day just feeling full of creativity. I set the camera up on the concrete side of the pool, set the timer, ran to the fountain and then went and retrieved my really wet and sprayed brand new camera. I've been going through about one camera every year and I guess this is how you do it. But hey, its a cool shot even if it might have cost me 160 bucks.
The mermaids are toooo cool. Its the official poster of this years Carnaval who's theme is ' The return of the Muses'. As I recall a muse is a gifted person that can kind of mentor you and help you navigate through life by sharing life's secrets and wisdom. So what could be better than to have your muse come in the gorgeous female mermaid variety? And of course where would any Carnaval promotion be without a logo of the real Carnaval inspiration around here...Pacifico beer. This apartment building is where my best buddy Ernie lives, it used to be called 'Angels Paradise' . But a few years back Angel got divorced and the green half is his ex-wifes and the red half is Angels. There was wall built right down the middle and even a chain link fence right through the swimming pool. Its weird enough that theres a physical divide between the two sides but there seems to be a social divide as well. All the upbeat old timers live at Angels and the come and goers stay on the green side...It was here that I was told to shut up and get a haircut right in the middle of Commander Cody's 'Mama hated Diesels'. Of course that came from the green side.....Do you remember that scene in the movie War of the Roses when Michael Douglas was explaining his plan to break up the house in segments to his lawyer Danny Devito? Devito asked him " Oliver does this really make sense to you?" and Oliver replied...."heck yes, I got 2700 square feet and she's only got 2200".
This next pic is something you don't see every day, goats playing basketball. Right down the street from us is a spanking new state of the art basketball court. Its got the shatter proof breakaway rims and glass. Its got the padded support stands. Its got a perfectly flat and painted
playing surface...and goats. I'll leave it at that.
Every now and then I enjoy a nice Tanquery Martini...either shaken or stirred, I don't care. So naturally this wonderful selection of stuffed olives jumped out at me while shopping. My buddy Crisco got me going on the Anchovy stuffed olives years ago and they remain my favorite. But when I saw the salmon stuffed I got to wondering... farmed or wild? Sockeye of Chinook? Alaskan or Canadian? And then I had the brain storm...why not smoked salmon stuffed or even bacon stuffed? I mean theres not to many things in this world that you can't make taste better by adding bacon. So I figure if we can't find them I'll make my own and report back to you on my research, just keep reading Mile 14.
The next two pics are a set I'd say. For some reason the marketing of beer is done entirely different in Mexico than the U. S. of A. Now I know Joe Montana was a big star but hey, that was 20 years ago. I have to figure the answer is simple, its just because he's got a really cool name. Then you'll see Tecate has a strategy to get buyers by adding a few cans. In the states we'd have a sale price, but in Mexico just add a few cans after all...its a better deal. You know 14 cans for those days when 12 ain't enough but 18 is too many.
The next twp pics are set as well. We like to go to the central market and eat either lunch or breakfast. Its a great place to sit and watch the town down below. This day I had the daily special that was a nice chicken soup that was real brothy with one huge piece of chicken and huge pieces of vegetable. It came with beans and tortillas of course and cost 25 pesos, just a little over two bucks. The other pic is the inside of restaurant row above the mercado. They don't see to many gringos here and thats half the fun, the gals are trying to get you in their place kind of like the barkers in Las Vegas...its great and one of our favorite things.

Art is everywhere, you just got to notice. These are the towels sitting on top of the massage table at the Aroma spa. Now I sometimes go to the Mayan Spa as the Aroma is downtown and a bit more expensive. But when they have towels as cool as this I have to say its worth the time and money to get there. Oh, a one hour massage by a trained therapist is 250 pesos, a little over twenty bucks...believe it or not I fished hard enough that a few days it was really needed.
We all know theres certain things you can get in Mexico that you can't in the states, like good vanilla and cheap prescription drugs... and pants like these. As part of this quest I'm on to be a really good person I figure I need to be more helpful so if any of you ladies would like a really cool pair of britches I'll pick them up for you in 10 short months. I know where they sell them, just let me know.

1 comment: