Monday, July 16, 2012

Note to self....happy birthday

59 years ago today in Fort Campbell Kentucky I came into this world fighting, scratching, clawing and cryin...and I been doing that ever since. When you get nearer to the end than you are the start the b-days are celebrated a little different. I kinda reflect....man....I've had a lot of fun. And even though right now my humor isn't as good as usual the left side of my brain tells me " you're healthy, ya got MP, you just bought tickets to Maz, the kids are good,  the dog loves you, you're a legendary fisherman, your music is listenable and you make a great ceasers salad"..... "SO QUIT MOONING ABOUT THE FISHERY".... and that's what I plan to do. In fact yesterday morning the launch was quiet at 7 am so me and MP did something we never have the chance to do this time of year....we went fishing.
That's the launch lady herself with a nice red salmon just a tugging away. I ran for the net and as you can tell from her smile she had fun catching her first red in so many years that we couldn't remember. I know we used to fish for them, I just can't remember when...but hey, I'm 59 years old, its that memory deal.
You know life is good when your fishing partner has a smile like that. We were tied at one fish a person and then she caught her second and I was looking good and out fished. But I bore down on the slimeys and in an hour we had 5 laying on the bank, just the right amount for a canner full and some nice steaks on the barbecue....which I over cooked as usual.
So it looks like we're going to get another week of catch and release fishing for Kings, and I suspect we'll chase some of these reds. But I've learned a lot lately about fishermen, fishing and what it seems to be all about. I guess for me I was looking at this just differently than some folks... I think it was Zane Grey who said "men fish their entire lives without knowing that's its not fish they're after".....well, that ain't my customers, at least some of my oldest and best friends who have canceled because they don't want to release the King they might catch. For me its always been and always will be fellowship, the chase, the excitement of the bite, all the hope and planning that it takes, the air , the turquoise water and the way coffee tastes so good when you're cold....its about it all....and always will be.
So happy birthday Jeff.....I think you've turned into a pretty good guy.

4 comments:

  1. HaPpy HaPpy Birthday ! You ARE a great guide...I mean Guy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jeff - Looking forward to seeing you in September... I figure the fishing is all a guise. I am looking forward to whatever it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been my fav uncle since I was born! Hope your day was a great one and enjoy this next spin around the sun!

    ReplyDelete